DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   painting vinyl (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/193281-painting-vinyl.html)

[email protected] February 25th 07 04:33 AM

painting vinyl

Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

Edwin Pawlowski February 25th 07 05:56 AM

painting vinyl

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

I did some trim about 8+ years ago and it still looks very good. I had to
repaint some wood done with the same paint that did not hold up as well.

mikee February 25th 07 12:26 PM

painting vinyl

latex, solid stains on vinyl.................never!

use acrylic paint only
should be sprayed on, not brushed or rolled
and yes it is still paint
so it should have a fresh coat every 3 to 5 years.
kinda defeats the purpose of having vinyl.......don't you think?

ups.com...

JoeSpareBedroom February 25th 07 01:29 PM

painting vinyl

wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

Wandering down the paint aisle at Home Despot last week, I noticed a bunch
of spray paints whose labels said "For Plastic". Might've been from
Rustoleum. Might be worth a look.

[email protected] February 25th 07 01:42 PM

painting vinyl

As far as I know paint on vinyl last a very long time.

My brother painted his blue vinyl house white 19 years ago and to this
day it still looks great.

It looks like white vinyl siding.

The trick is to wash it first and use 100% acrylic paint.

Don February 25th 07 03:38 PM

painting vinyl

On 24 Feb 2007 20:33:42 -0800, wrote:

Has anyone been installing and painting exterior vinyl
products(molding, sashes, etc.) long enough to know about the
durability of the finishes. Exterior latexes and solid stains look
great when the job is finished, but what about 5+ years later?

My advice is to scuff sand the vinyl, then power wash. Let it dry 1
complete day.

Make your first coat an oil primer.

Your finish coat should be 100% waterborne acrylic latex paint.

Don

mm February 25th 07 04:31 PM

painting vinyl

On 25 Feb 2007 05:42:57 -0800, wrote:

As far as I know paint on vinyl last a very long time.

My brother painted his blue vinyl house white 19 years ago and to this
day it still looks great.

It looks like white vinyl siding.

When they painted my car a different color, didn't they paint my vinyl
bumpers? (I wish I had thought about that or I might have stayed with
the same color, so I hope my bumper does half as well as your house.

The trick is to wash it first and use 100% acrylic paint.

What do I use to think car paint, acrylic i suppose, if I need to
touch up? I paid extra for 5 oz. of matching paint.