Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new construction home, but installing wood laminate soon after

We are building a new home but unfortunately they won't install the
wood laminate flooring that we would like (in entry, formal dining,
den, and kitchen, all connected). They will install vinyl flooring and
then after we close in we can have it put in. We have some concerns
though and need some advice:

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

You can put laminate on vinyl but the vinyl is probably only attached at the
edges so I would remove it. Leaving it is just something else to go wrong.

Laminate pretty much requires the quarter round molding. It slips into it
and give it expansion room. Download installation instructions for the
laminate you are considering so you know what is going on.

"inblosam" wrote in message
s.com...
We are building a new home but unfortunately they won't install the
wood laminate flooring that we would like (in entry, formal dining,
den, and kitchen, all connected). They will install vinyl flooring and
then after we close in we can have it put in. We have some concerns
though and need some advice:

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"inblosam" wrote in message

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

If the baseboards are elegant, why are you putting laminate down? Put wood
or engineered wood. It does not matter how elegant the baseboard is if you
use plastic floors.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Maybe, but ask the manufacturer. You will still need to either add the
quarter round or take off the baseboard and put them back after the floor
goes in. It is important to leave a gap at the edges for expansion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

From everything I've read wood laminate flooring is more durable,
stain resistant, and less to maintain than wood or eng. wood. I've got
3 small kids too. Plus it's on a concrete slab, and from what I've
read it's a pain, costly, and risky to put wood on a concrete slab
(moisture, etc).

My other choice is tile, we just thought a really nice textured wood
laminate (Wilsonart, handscraped) would look great in there.

On Feb 24, 12:18 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"inblosam" wrote in message

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

If the baseboards are elegant, why are you putting laminate down? Put wood
or engineered wood. It does not matter how elegant the baseboard is if you
use plastic floors.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Maybe, but ask the manufacturer. You will still need to either add the
quarter round or take off the baseboard and put them back after the floor
goes in. It is important to leave a gap at the edges for expansion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the vinyl is not laid yet demand that they let allow yoy to install it
with your own sub if their sub won't do it. Tell them they do not even have
to give you the allowance for the vinyl floor, which I am sure is pennies.
This is asinine on their part especially if the house is not completed yet.
Or talk to their sub and ask him if you can pay him to upgrade the floor.
He will surely make more money from you than he will the GC.

--
Bob Pietrangelo
(home)

"inblosam" wrote in message
s.com...
We are building a new home but unfortunately they won't install the
wood laminate flooring that we would like (in entry, formal dining,
den, and kitchen, all connected). They will install vinyl flooring and
then after we close in we can have it put in. We have some concerns
though and need some advice:

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Thanks!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"inblosam" wrote in message
ps.com...
From everything I've read wood laminate flooring is more durable,

stain resistant, and less to maintain than wood or eng. wood. I've got
3 small kids too. Plus it's on a concrete slab, and from what I've
read it's a pain, costly, and risky to put wood on a concrete slab
(moisture, etc).

My other choice is tile, we just thought a really nice textured wood
laminate (Wilsonart, handscraped) would look great in there.

Wilsonaart is much better than most laminates. They also have some nice
tiles for foyers and such. On a slab you do need a moisture barrier. I'd
take up the vinyl and do it right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

inblosam wrote:
We are building a new home but unfortunately they won't install the
wood laminate flooring that we would like (in entry, formal dining,
den, and kitchen, all connected). They will install vinyl flooring and
then after we close in we can have it put in. We have some concerns
though and need some advice:

1) We would much prefer not having to do the quarter round molding
because our baseboards are so elegant and so new. Is there any way to
do this easily without the quarter round and without too much trouble
with the baseboard.

Sure. Take off the baseboard, lay the laminate, re-install the baseboards.

2) We'd prefer to not have to pull up the vinyl, is that okay to put
the wood laminate right on top?

Can't see why not. The vinyl will even act as a vapor barrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"inblosam" wrote in message
ps.com...
From everything I've read wood laminate flooring is more durable,

stain resistant, and less to maintain than wood or eng. wood. I've got
3 small kids too. Plus it's on a concrete slab, and from what I've
read it's a pain, costly, and risky to put wood on a concrete slab
(moisture, etc).

My other choice is tile, we just thought a really nice textured wood
laminate (Wilsonart, handscraped) would look great in there.

Wilsonaart is much better than most laminates. They also have some nice
tiles for foyers and such. On a slab you do need a moisture barrier. I'd
take up the vinyl and do it right.

My problem with Wilsonart is that once you click it together that is it. I
prefer Mannington and Shaw.