habbi

Default Installing windows, new construction

I am hearing different opinions about how to install new vinyl windows. Some
say to wrap the wrap the house wrap in through the rough opening and then to
nail window flange to house wrap and then to tape flange and others are
saying to nail flange to wood sheathing and then to house wrap over flange
and tape and others are talking about using a sticky flashing membrane
similar to eave shield. Could someone tell me which is best. Also what about
insulation, stuffed in fiberglass vs. spray in foam? What about using shims,
are they needed when nailing flange? Thanks

Perry Templeton

Depends on what kind of house wrap you are using. If you are using Tyvek or
something similar, then the method to wrap around the frame.
If you need shims, they can go on the outside of the wrap.
If you are using a radiant barrier type wrap, I can see where it might be
recommended to wrap and go over the flange and seal with tape.
Ask the supplier where you bought the
a. Windows
b. House wrap.
Perry

"habbi" wrote in message
I am hearing different opinions about how to install new vinyl windows.
Some
say to wrap the wrap the house wrap in through the rough opening and then
nail window flange to house wrap and then to tape flange and others are
saying to nail flange to wood sheathing and then to house wrap over flange
and tape and others are talking about using a sticky flashing membrane
similar to eave shield. Could someone tell me which is best. Also what
about
insulation, stuffed in fiberglass vs. spray in foam? What about using
shims,
are they needed when nailing flange? Thanks

HaHaHa

From: "habbi"

I am hearing different opinions about how to install new vinyl windows. Some
say to wrap the wrap the house wrap in through the rough opening

Yes.

and then to
nail window flange to house wrap

Yes.

and then to tape flange

Exactly. And tape over the flange bottom horizontal first, then the 2 vertical
sides overlapping the bottom, and then the horizontal top, overlapping the 2
sides.

and others are
saying to nail flange to wood sheathing and then to house wrap over flange
and tape

If you go this route, what is the tape going to stick to besides the house
wrap? The purpose of the tape is to form a bond between the housewrap and the
window flange.

and others are talking about using a sticky flashing membrane
similar to eave shield.

That's the flashing tape.

Could someone tell me which is best. Also what about
insulation, stuffed in fiberglass vs. spray in foam?

If you use fiberglass, you don't "stuff" it in, it should not be compressed
because it's the "fluffiness" that provides the insulation, not the material
itself.

If you use foam, get the kind specifically for doors and windows, which doesn't
expand as much as the normal stuff. And get that foam straw all the way back to
the flange and foam up a bead between the window and frame back near the
flange, all around the window first. The stuff grows, quickly at first but then
continues for another 24 hours... slowly, like those 4th of July "snakes."

What about using shims,
are they needed when nailing flange? Thanks

Shims shouldn't be needed for nailing flanges unless the wall is way out of
plumb.

Art

Visit Pella site and download their directions. I believe it is housewrap
opening then their special Pella tape available at Lowes to tape flange to
wrap. Even though the instructions don't mention it, a Pella service tech,
one with a decade of experience, still recommends silicone under the flange
before mounting it in the window. So it is sheathing, wrap, silicone,
flange, tape. And the tape is first applied to the bottom, then the 2 sides
and then the top.

"habbi" wrote in message
I am hearing different opinions about how to install new vinyl windows.
Some
say to wrap the wrap the house wrap in through the rough opening and then
nail window flange to house wrap and then to tape flange and others are
saying to nail flange to wood sheathing and then to house wrap over flange
and tape and others are talking about using a sticky flashing membrane
similar to eave shield. Could someone tell me which is best. Also what
about
insulation, stuffed in fiberglass vs. spray in foam? What about using
shims,
are they needed when nailing flange? Thanks

habbi

Come to think of it we are going to strap the house before putting up the
siding. The windows are going to have to be installed over a strapping (1" X
4") border. How should the window, typar etc... all be installed in this
case? Thanks

nk.net...