Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lukewarm water from water heater

I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here that
maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could be the
culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I need
to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pattycake wrote:

I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here that
maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could be the
culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I need
to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

Incoming water shouldn't affect the temp setting.

Right after the unit finishes firing, run a Hot tap
at just a trickle. Feel the Hot pipe leaving the heater.
Is it much hotter than 90-110 deg ?

Let the water run a while. Does the exit pipe grow
significanly cooler?

Those tests can help rule in/out a bad dip tube.

If the water leaving is not real hot under any conditions
above, it may be the control which has simply "snapped".
They are not cheap to replace, but on a 4 year old heater
it could be worth the expense.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 8:52 pm, "Pattycake" wrote:
I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here that
maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could be the
culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I need
to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

Draw enough water to get the WH to fire up. Then shut off the water
and wait for the WH burner to go off. If it's then only 90-110 with
the WH temp control set way up, then with a 4 yr old unit, I'd say
it's most likely the thermostat/valve control assembly is shot. They
can be replaced for around $60 or so part cost.

If it reaches full temp, but then goes way down when no water is drawn
for a long time, like overnight, that would also indicate a bad
thermostat assembly, where there is too big of a delta between on/off.

This also assumes you don't have some strange long hot water pipe run
through a cold slab, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

30 gallon tanks are cheap, and even installed shouldnt be 600 bucks.

if the control is bad I would replace the tank and get at least a 40
gallon tank.

have you priced home depot or lowes for tanks?

with real hard water the tank may be filled with sediment, when
heating it will make a boiling noise.

I would replace the tank going larger like 50 gallon maximizes the
time till it flls with crud again

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pattycake" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here
that maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could
be the culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I
need to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

Another possibility is a leak in the hot water line somewhere. Check if the
heater outlet pipe stays warm for more than about 3 feet from the heater
when no hot water is being used.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pattycake" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here
that maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could
be the culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I
need to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

A 4 year old water heater should not go bad . It might be just need some
new parts. One of mine gave out and it was old I was going to replace it
and someone suggested putting a new Thermocouple in it. Less than $10
dollars I was running hot again. This might help a little
http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=10816. Also when I
bought this house the owner said the water heater was broken she just had
Luke warm water. On moving I had a new water heater, the old tank control
was set on Pilot any way took the new one back. Before you ask the owner was
operating on Gin fumes