frank1492

Default Water too Hot, Now Just Lukewarm (Electric Heater)

My theory: A failed thermostat caused the water to get too hot
(elements on much of the time). Now one has failed. (This is a
very old heater- 20 yrs maybe?)
Am I probably correct? (I know. I'll know when I take it apart
but I always like to guess first)
Help appreciated!
Frank
Frank Boettcher

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:39:43 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

My theory: A failed thermostat caused the water to get too hot
(elements on much of the time). Now one has failed. (This is a
very old heater- 20 yrs maybe?)
Am I probably correct? (I know. I'll know when I take it apart
but I always like to guess first)
Help appreciated!
Frank

Probably the low element is in a bed of calcium carbonate rocks
distilled out of your water and it shorted out the element.

20 years old. Don't fool with parts, replace the whole water heater.

Frank
Bob

"frank1492" wrote in message
My theory: A failed thermostat caused the water to get too hot
(elements on much of the time). Now one has failed. (This is a
very old heater- 20 yrs maybe?)
Am I probably correct? (I know. I'll know when I take it apart
but I always like to guess first)
Help appreciated!
Frank

Remove the covers over the top and bottom thermostats and check for a
resettable safety thermostat.

Bob

Joseph Meehan

frank1492 wrote:
My theory: A failed thermostat caused the water to get too hot
(elements on much of the time). Now one has failed. (This is a
very old heater- 20 yrs maybe?)
Am I probably correct? (I know. I'll know when I take it apart
but I always like to guess first)
Help appreciated!
Frank

You might want to check to see how long your neighbor's water heaters
are lasting. If they are not getting better than about 20 years, I would
just replace it. It does depend on the water in your area, but in most
areas 20 years is about it.

Of course I am getting at the first question you should be asking
yourself is do I repair or replace. Since it appears you may be able to do
it yourself for just the parts, then that might be a point for repair.
However if it is located in a location where a major leak could be costly, I
would say replace it anyway.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Repair 57 April 2nd 04 10:51 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Electric Water Heater Problem, Repair or Buy new, please help Robert Home Repair 10 January 10th 04 01:09 AM