Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Lukewarm water from water heater

Pattycake wrote:

I have a 4 year old natural gas 30 gallon Rheem water heater. Since last
week, we have had 90-110 degree water at night (which is really the only
time we use it). The tap water is coming in at 45 degrees. I live in a hard
water area.

I live in the mountains and I am wondering since it has warmed up here that
maybe our water supply is coming from some snow runoff and that could be the
culprit?

I have maxed out the thermostat. Time for a new water heater? What do I need
to check before I go spend $600+ for a new water heater installation?

Incoming water shouldn't affect the temp setting.

Right after the unit finishes firing, run a Hot tap
at just a trickle. Feel the Hot pipe leaving the heater.
Is it much hotter than 90-110 deg ?

Let the water run a while. Does the exit pipe grow
significanly cooler?

Those tests can help rule in/out a bad dip tube.

If the water leaving is not real hot under any conditions
above, it may be the control which has simply "snapped".
They are not cheap to replace, but on a 4 year old heater
it could be worth the expense.

Jim