Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A little electricity 101 if you please

A couple three basic questions that I'm not willing to test myself.

When pigtailing wires together, you won't get shocked so long as 1) the
breaker to that circuit is off 2) you aren't touching both the neutral AND
the hot wire. Meaning, if I grab two hot wires and pig-tail them (like when
adding in a dimmer) I won't get shocked so long as I'm not touching the
neutral wire AND the breaker to that circuit is off. I'm not trying to be
ultra safe here so much as I'm trying to make sure that in situation where
switching off the breaker isn't a guarentee that power is off for that
fixture.

Second question, if I take the probe leads from my volt meter and jam them
into an outlet, it's not gonna short the circuit but do exactly what I would
expect it to do - read the potential difference between the two sockets in
AC volts (assuming your voltmeter is reading AC volts).

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth if
you had to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The phone lines are safe. You won't feel any shocks.

Power lines are a bit different.There should not be power on the
colored power wire, usually black, when the breaker is turned off.
Neutrals, the white one, are usually shared by two circuits. In a
perfect world there should not be power on the neutrals if
everything is wired correctly. DO NOT assume so. You do not tell
if your wiring is new enough to have a ground, either green or
bare. Turn off the breaker, check between black and white - no
power; then use your tester between the black and the green - no
power; use your tester between the white and the green - no power,
you're good to go.

It is good practice to never use both hands around electricity
that can allow current through your heart. If you are not
grounded, barefoot, in a puddle of water, or some other grounding
you might feel a tingle, but the current can't go through you. I
am not suggesting this, but some old electricians might use their
finger in a light socket to check for power.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:
A couple three basic questions that I'm not willing to test myself.

When pigtailing wires together, you won't get shocked so long as 1) the
breaker to that circuit is off

Assuming that the circuit is connected to *only* that breaker, and has no
cross-connections to any other circuit, you can stop there -- killing the
breaker is all you need.

2) you aren't touching both the neutral AND
the hot wire. Meaning, if I grab two hot wires and pig-tail them (like when
adding in a dimmer) I won't get shocked so long as I'm not touching the
neutral wire AND the breaker to that circuit is off.

If the circuit is off, you won't get shocked even if you *do* touch the
neutral. Assuming, again, that everything was installed properly.

I'm not trying to be
ultra safe here so much as I'm trying to make sure that in situation where
switching off the breaker isn't a guarentee that power is off for that
fixture.

The only way that switching the breaker off *isn't* a guarantee that power is
off, is if the circuit has been installed improperly, with a cross-connection
to some other circuit.

Do you have a specific reason to be concerned that the fixture you're
intending to work on won't be de-energized by killing the appropriate breaker?

Second question, if I take the probe leads from my volt meter and jam them
into an outlet, it's not gonna short the circuit but do exactly what I would
expect it to do - read the potential difference between the two sockets in
AC volts (assuming your voltmeter is reading AC volts).

Correct.

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth if
you had to?

They carry enough that they could sting a bit, and I certainly wouldn't splice
them with my teeth -- but there's no danger from working with live phone
wires.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
A couple three basic questions that I'm not willing to test myself.

When pigtailing wires together, you won't get shocked so long as 1) the
breaker to that circuit is off 2) you aren't touching both the neutral
AND the hot wire. Meaning, if I grab two hot wires and pig-tail them
(like when adding in a dimmer) I won't get shocked so long as I'm not
touching the neutral wire AND the breaker to that circuit is off. I'm not
trying to be ultra safe here so much as I'm trying to make sure that in
situation where switching off the breaker isn't a guarentee that power is
off for that fixture.

As long as the breaker is off, you can't get a shock. I always test for
voltage before touching a wire.
The neutral is just a really good ground; neither more dangerous than a
copper water pipe, nor less.
(The exception is when the neutral isn't attached to the breaker box
properly; then it can be dangerous, but that would be very unusual.)

Second question, if I take the probe leads from my volt meter and jam them
into an outlet, it's not gonna short the circuit but do exactly what I
would expect it to do - read the potential difference between the two
sockets in AC volts (assuming your voltmeter is reading AC volts).

That's correct. Just be sure you have the meter set correctly, or you might
be surprised.

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth
if you had to?

Phone lines are harmless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
A couple three basic questions that I'm not willing to test myself.

When pigtailing wires together, you won't get shocked so long as 1) the
breaker to that circuit is off 2) you aren't touching both the neutral
AND the hot wire. Meaning, if I grab two hot wires and pig-tail them
(like when adding in a dimmer) I won't get shocked so long as I'm not
touching the neutral wire AND the breaker to that circuit is off. I'm not
trying to be ultra safe here so much as I'm trying to make sure that in
situation where switching off the breaker isn't a guarentee that power is
off for that fixture.

If the breaker is off to a circuit, it's dead: Except if it's an Edison
circuit, one that shares a neutral between two legs of different potential.
In this case you would need to turn off both breakers sharing the neutral,
or else, opening the pigtail of the neutral and getting between the
conductors will hurt you

Second question, if I take the probe leads from my volt meter and jam them
into an outlet, it's not gonna short the circuit but do exactly what I
would expect it to do - read the potential difference between the two
sockets in AC volts (assuming your voltmeter is reading AC volts).

Correct

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth
if you had to?

There is enough voltage to hurt you especially if your hands are sweaty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "DanG" wrote:
Neutrals, the white one, are usually shared by two circuits.

False.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Personally, I feel that I have better control over my well-being when I use
both of my hands when handling live wires and devices. I also try to use my
head

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with you totally, but the advice is for someone who is
uncomfortable and on new territory. He is not asking how to work
something hot.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller" wrote:

As long as the breaker is off, you can't get a shock.

Well, close -- as long as the breaker is off, *and* everything is wired
properly... and that's something that you can't necessarily assume. In two of
the three houses I've owned, I've found one pair of circuits that had their
neutrals cross-connected. When somebody does something stupid like that, all
bets are off.

I always test for voltage before touching a wire.

That's good practice. *Excellent* practice is to apply the tester to something
that is *known* to be live first, to make sure that it properly indicates the
presence of voltage.

The neutral is just a really good ground; neither more dangerous than a
copper water pipe, nor less.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

PLEASE stop answering questions like this until you figure out the difference
between neutral and ground. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

The neutral _carries_current_ under normal operation, and you _can_ get a
lethal shock from the neutral conductor of an energized circuit.

(The exception is when the neutral isn't attached to the breaker box
properly; then it can be dangerous, but that would be very unusual.)

Wrong again. I repeat: the neutral is a current-carrying conductor under
normal operation, and touching it can be lethal.

Electricity does *not*, as is commonly and mistakenly believed, follow "the
path of least resistance". Instead, electricity follows *all* *possible*
paths. And that's why the neutral of an energized circuit can be dangerous: by
touching it, you create a possible path for current through your own body.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

[...]

You don't need to open the pigtail and get between the conductors to get hurt.
Simply touching it may be dangerous: you create a [potential] parallel path
for the neutral current, through your body. Electricity follows all possible
paths, not just the one of least resistance. Creating additional paths with
your flesh isn't a good idea.
[snip]

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth
if you had to?

There is enough voltage to hurt you especially if your hands are sweaty

Let's clarify that, OK?

"Enough voltage to hurt you" meaning "enough to cause pain", yes.
Meaning "enough to cause injury", no.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I agree on both counts, although, opening a live neutral and getting between
the conductors is a guaranty of pain.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
news
I agree with you totally, but the advice is for someone who is
uncomfortable and on new territory. He is not asking how to work something
hot.

--

I appreciate the swift responses. I am relatively new to doing this kind of
repair work and so there were these questions that came to mind. I had to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

"DanG" wrote in message
news
I agree with you totally, but the advice is for someone who is
uncomfortable and on new territory. He is not asking how to work something
hot.

I appreciate the swift responses. I am relatively new to doing this kind of
repair work and so there were these questions that came to mind. I had to
replace the dimmer, I've seen it done and know how to do it, but wires won't
show electricty in them, so before grasping them to undo the pigtail I
grabbed my voltmeter and touched the wires. I didn't see any readings so I
thought - Hmm maybe my voltmeter isn't working. So I was about to stick the
probes in the outlet when the thought occured to me that maybe that isn't
such a smart idea either. So I figured, why not, I'll ask here and save
myself a trip to the emergency room and only pay the price of looking
stupid.

Outstanding idea.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you get a ring pulse while doing wiring its another matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a disconnect in modern phone boxes. Just to be on the safe
side, disconnect you line there before you work inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Schmidt wrote:
If you get a ring pulse while doing wiring its another matter.

AHH!! Bingo!!

Tom J
been there, felt that

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
When in doubt... Throw the main

Assuming your panel has main that is....

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

news

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll answer only on the telephone thing. I've forever stripped phone wire
with my teeth, BUT, be advised from my understanding, there will be about
90 volts DC if the phone were to ring.

--
Steve Barker

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth
if you had to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Feb 2007 14:18:12 -0800, "professorpaul"
wrote:

There is a disconnect in modern phone boxes. Just to be on the safe
side, disconnect you line there before you work inside.

In the 50's we had metal boxes and when you pulled up on the cover to
remove it two ceramic/copper tipped fuses could be pulled to
disconnect. My granddad would pull the fuses when he had enough of my
siblings talking on the phone G. If he left the house with a fuse,
my brother would put two forks in place of the fuses, so they could
talk.

It's pointed out (with older phones) to take phone off the hook in
another room, before working. I don't know about modern phones
(digital/wireless).

I have the newer box for the disconnect as you mention. Labeled on the
box - "Customer Access"
..
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

By code, it has to have at least one

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
When in doubt... Throw the main

Assuming your panel has main that is....

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

news I agree with you totally, but the advice is for someone who is

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

As long as the breaker is off, you can't get a shock. I always test
for voltage before touching a wire.
The neutral is just a really good ground; neither more dangerous than
a copper water pipe, nor less.
(The exception is when the neutral isn't attached to the breaker box
properly; then it can be dangerous, but that would be very unusual.)

Based on the number of open neutral questions we get around here, I
would not say it is very unusual. Unusual maybe, but I would not bet my
life on it, especially if I were working on a application I did not trust.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
By code, it has to have at least one

But by code, the main doesn't necessarly kill everything in the panel.

Tom J
who has 1 of thousands like that

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote:
The phone lines are safe. You won't feel any shocks.

Umm, yes, phone lines CAN shock you! Especially if you're talking analog
lines, and: Especially if you use your teethG! The actual shock you'll
feel though comes from ringing voltage, which is 100V ac riding on nominally
48VDC. The full current available if you were right next to the CO could be
up to 110 mA, so it's relatively safe from a life threatening view, but
still plenty enough to make you fall off a ladder or get a bad bruise on
your elbow or whatever.
Stick the normally reg/green wire pair on your tongue and you'll
immediately feel and taste the electrical flow. The surface of your tongue
makes an excellent conductor for the 48V DC nominal battery voltage present
on the wires when the phone is hung up.

Sorry; couldn't let that one pass. Lots of people with lots of bruises can
attest to these facts g, myself included.

[...]

Absolutely accurate; good info! I just felt a need to comment on the phone
wiring.

Pop`

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
By code, it has to have at least one

For new boxes maybe, but not for ones put in the 1950's and 60's.

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:45:04 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

I'll answer only on the telephone thing. I've forever stripped phone wire
with my teeth, BUT, be advised from my understanding, there will be about
90 volts DC if the phone were to ring.

Put the phone wires in your mouth and you can see when someone's
calling :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

The only thing to watch out for with a meter is to be certain it's set to
read Voltage and not Current (I) or Resistance (R) when you stick the probes
into an outlet.
Hopefully such a mistake would only blow the fuse in it, but it's almost
as likely to fry the whole unit, depending.
You also have to be sure it's Volts AC too of course. You'll get
inaccurate numbers if it's set to to DC Volts.

HTH
Pop`

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'll answer only on the telephone thing. I've forever stripped phone wire
with my teeth, BUT, be advised from my understanding, there will be about
90 volts DC if the phone were to ring.

Put the phone wires in your mouth and you can see when someone's
calling :-)

I'll get right on that GRIN.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A little electricity 101 if you please I got no vector again*no research*

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Check back, this idiot does NO research as the questions have been asked
and answered many times! So don't waste yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Eigenvector wrote:
A couple three basic questions that I'm not willing to test myself.

When pigtailing wires together, you won't get shocked so long as 1) the
breaker to that circuit is off 2) you aren't touching both the neutral AND
the hot wire. Meaning, if I grab two hot wires and pig-tail them (like when
adding in a dimmer) I won't get shocked so long as I'm not touching the
neutral wire AND the breaker to that circuit is off. I'm not trying to be
ultra safe here so much as I'm trying to make sure that in situation where
switching off the breaker isn't a guarentee that power is off for that
fixture.

If you are standing on a conductive surface such as possibly a
damp concrete floor, or if your hand comes into contact with a
metal junction box or other grounded surface, you could still get a
serious shock. That's one reason electricians favor wooden or fiberglass
ladders.

Second question, if I take the probe leads from my volt meter and jam them
into an outlet, it's not gonna short the circuit but do exactly what I would
expect it to do - read the potential difference between the two sockets in
AC volts (assuming your voltmeter is reading AC volts).

Correct. It's worth noting however that most meters, are sometimes
_too_ sensitive and will read "phantom" voltages. A solenoid-type
tester or a test light is often easier to use as well as better
suited to checking for presence of voltage.

And finally, when splicing phone line, do the wires normally carry voltage
sufficient to shock or could you essentially splice them with your teeth if
you had to?

IIRC they can be in the 90 volt range when ringing. I believe the current
is limited to a non-fatal value but I can state from personal experience
that a telephone wire can give an unpleasant shock.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Yes, even services from the fifties and sixties required up to six main
disconnects

6 main disconnects? I take you're referring to the actual breakers, not a
switch on the panel labeled "main" - which is what I think of when I read
"main" Because I would find it impossible to believe that every house in
this country has 6 main switches + actual breakers.

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The Nec requires up to six service disconnects. If you only have one , it
kills everything. If you have more than one, you need to shut them all to
kill everything

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...
RBM wrote:
By code, it has to have at least one

But by code, the main doesn't necessarly kill everything in the panel.

Tom J
who has 1 of thousands like that

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Your main disconnects can be separate main breaker panels, or main fuse
panels, or all six main disconnects can be in one panel

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

And every house in America doesn't have six main disconnects. Most have only
one, but the NEC allows up to six. and yes, they all have to say "main"

"DanG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In these thousands of panels like mine that was installed in the '60's
and are still in production and being sold today, the breaker marked
MAIN only cuts off the 110V circuits that are below it. All the 220V
breakers above it and the buss for them is still hot when the MAIN
breaker is off. None of the 220 breakers say MAIN, and even if they
did, the buss bars are still hot. People that don't understand how
panels are wired really need to get an electrician when it comes time
to add things to the service panel.

Tom J

RBM wrote:
The Nec requires up to six service disconnects. If you only have one
, it kills everything. If you have more than one, you need to shut
them all to kill everything

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...
RBM wrote:
By code, it has to have at least one

But by code, the main doesn't necessarly kill everything in the
panel. Tom J
who has 1 of thousands like that

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yep, that's a split buss panel, and all the breakers on top are "mains" and
yes, that panel has main lugs and upper buss that is always live

.net...

RBM wrote:
The Nec requires up to six service disconnects. If you only have one
, it kills everything. If you have more than one, you need to shut
them all to kill everything

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...
RBM wrote:
By code, it has to have at least one

But by code, the main doesn't necessarly kill everything in the
panel. Tom J
who has 1 of thousands like that

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 10, 2:53 pm, "DanG" wrote:
The phone lines are safe. You won't feel any shocks.

bull.

you'll feel them if you strip them with your teeth, like the OP asked.

although it is only a little tingle, unless someone calls at the exact
moment you have the wires in your mouth. found out the bad way.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DanG" writes:
The phone lines are safe. You won't feel any shocks.

Not true. The on-hook (phone just sitting there) voltage is nominally
48 V, which you probably won't feel unless your skin is wet. (Don't try
putting your tongue across the terminals though!).

But the ring voltage is something like 90-100 V, so you will feel that
if you're holding onto the phone conductors when someone tries to call
you.

Dave

Capacitors 101 Stevie D Electronics Repair 6 December 21st 06 03:41 AM
Abrasives 101 MG Metalworking 3 April 27th 06 02:34 PM
Furnace 101 antsgomarching Home Repair 3 August 16th 05 12:41 AM
Fibreglassing 101? Q Metalworking 35 July 17th 05 10:57 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM