Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default A little electricity 101 if you please

On 10 Feb 2007 14:18:12 -0800, "professorpaul"
wrote:

There is a disconnect in modern phone boxes. Just to be on the safe
side, disconnect you line there before you work inside.

In the 50's we had metal boxes and when you pulled up on the cover to
remove it two ceramic/copper tipped fuses could be pulled to
disconnect. My granddad would pull the fuses when he had enough of my
siblings talking on the phone G. If he left the house with a fuse,
my brother would put two forks in place of the fuses, so they could
talk.

It's pointed out (with older phones) to take phone off the hook in
another room, before working. I don't know about modern phones
(digital/wireless).

I have the newer box for the disconnect as you mention. Labeled on the
box - "Customer Access"
..
--
Oren