Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl sidiing?

When installing siding, can you screw the vinyl slats to the house itself?
Save time chasing them when the wind gets too severe.

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

wrote in message news
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:05:02 -0500, "betsyb"
wrote:

When installing siding, can you screw the vinyl slats to the house
itself?
Save time chasing them when the wind gets too severe.

No.

Is therre a valid reason or just your opinion?

Posted to alt.home.repair

betsyb wrote:
When installing siding, can you screw the vinyl slats to the house
itself? Save time chasing them when the wind gets too severe.

You can screw them, but only if you screw them in the slots to allow
movement for expansion and contraction. You should not screw them tightly

If they are coming off in the wind, then they are really cheap, poorly
installed or you live on Mt Whitney.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vinyl siding is a bad choice ANYWHERE

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message ...

If you live in an area prone to violent wind storms then vinyl siding is a
bad
choice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Nil Nil is offline

On 04 Feb 2007, "Steve Barker" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Vinyl siding is a bad choice ANYWHERE

Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

wrote in message news

wrote:

When installing siding, can you screw the vinyl slats to the house
itself?
Save time chasing them when the wind gets too severe.

No.

Is therre a valid reason

Yes. Read the instruction for the application of vinyl siding. They
explain very
clearly why you can't do that.

This was installed before I moved here. If I had the original package, I
sure could read it my self. I don't, so I asked a simple question from a
group of quasi pros. My error. Sorry to have tread on hallowed ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

screws would be fine but you have to leave the siding room to expand
and contract.

if you screw it down solid temperature changes will make to buckle and
distort

Posted to alt.home.repair

--
Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate and Starbucks!!
BetsyB

wrote in message
oups.com...
screws would be fine but you have to leave the siding room to expand
and contract.

if you screw it down solid temperature changes will make to buckle and
distort

Thankyou, apparently it was screwed on properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to
tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a. Long runs of it expand more than the nail holes can tolerate, then it's
all nice and wavy.
b. It gets brittle
c. hail (if running sideways) punches holes in it.
d. It melts if your neighbors particle board palace burns down
e. It chalks out and looks like ****
f. It looks like a plastic lego house

Steel is the only way to go.
--
Steve Barker

"Nil" wrote in message
On 04 Feb 2007, "Steve Barker" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Vinyl siding is a bad choice ANYWHERE

Why?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
a. Long runs of it expand more than the nail holes can tolerate, then it's
all nice and wavy.
b. It gets brittle
c. hail (if running sideways) punches holes in it.
d. It melts if your neighbors particle board palace burns down
e. It chalks out and looks like ****
f. It looks like a plastic lego house

My vinyl siding is 23 years old. It has none of the failures that you
describe although the neighbor's houses on either side of me have not
burned down in all that time, but each is about 60 feet away and they
are covered in asbestos siding. Ever see an asbestos siding house burn?
Watch out for shrapnel!.
Are you speaking from experience, or repeating some bull**** that
someone else has said?
What do you have on your house?

Steel is the only way to go.

Here's a plus over steel siding.
If your house catches fire, the vinyl will melt from the heat so that
the fire hoses can get to the wood fire behind the steel.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

a. mine is steel
b. I've seen hundreds of pictures, and all it takes is driving around and
looking straight down the side of houses with vinyl. You'll get dizzy
looking at the crooked *******s. (Also the seams are always nice also.) I
never did figure out why they call it seamless with all those seams in it.
c. if it's steel, all they'd have to do it keep it cool. No problem other
than possibly blistering the paint.
d. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. If his house burns, I probably
won't even know it. There's NO WAY I'd live any closer than that to
someone.

--
Steve Barker

"Willshak" wrote in message

My vinyl siding is 23 years old. It has none of the failures that you
describe although the neighbor's houses on either side of me have not
burned down in all that time, but each is about 60 feet away and they are
covered in asbestos siding. Ever see an asbestos siding house burn? Watch
out for shrapnel!.
Are you speaking from experience, or repeating some bull**** that someone
else has said?
What do you have on your house?

Steel is the only way to go.

Here's a plus over steel siding.
If your house catches fire, the vinyl will melt from the heat so that the
fire hoses can get to the wood fire behind the steel.

--
Bill
in Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, delete the double zeroes after @

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hell, I forgot. I have two with steel, and one with vinyl, and one that's
still wood. The vinyl one will be steel as soon as we build on. The wood
one is a rental and we'll just paint it.

--
Steve Barker

"Willshak" wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to
tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to
stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment , but I just
like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on
older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be
associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lots of siding looks nice. Wood is fine but a pain in the ass
to maintain over the years. Vinyl you put up and leave up.
No rot. Virgin vinyl stays the same color without fading.
If you spend the extra cash I rather have the real looking vinyl
siding just because the stuff can last a lifetime!

Tom

On Feb 5, 12:31 pm, blueman wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to
tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to
stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment , but I just
like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on
older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be
associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to
stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment , but I just
like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on
older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be
associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".

At 10 yards, chances are you can see the filled in spots and scraped and
sanded wood too. Clapboard is nice when new but after a few paint jobs and
peeling, it is a PITA. Paint as you wish, but I prefer not to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

blueman writes:

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to
tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to
stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment , but I just
like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on
older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be
associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".

There is vinyl siding that looks good at 10 yards or 10 inches.
I've had people touch my siding and still not believe that it was
vinyl. It looks better than wood, never needs painting, does not
chalk and won't break in a hail storm. We've only had one hail
storm with golf ball sized hail. No damage to the siding.

Since the pieces are 2 ft by 4 ft there is no issue with wavyness
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
"RobertPatrick" wrote in message

Because it all look like plastic crap, that's why.

Yes, some old cheap stuff certainly did, but many new types are difficult to
tell from real wood at 10 years away.

Assuming you meant 10 YARDS (not years), why should I be forced to
stay 10 yards away from my own house for it to look good?

Call me a traditionalist (or a glutton for punishment , but I just
like the look and authenticity of wood clapboards, particularly on
older houses. To my own prejudiced mind, vinyl will always be
associated with the words "cheap" and "plastic".

Couldn't agree more. and I'm a modernist. Vinyl siding is cheap junk.

Maintenance free is a lie.

You have to wash it every year to get rid of the mildew and the
chalking. And if you do that wrong, you end up with water in your
wall's insulation. I've been looking at houses, and every single one
that has vinyl siding that wasn't applied yesterday has all kinds of
mildew and grime that collects in the poors and so on, and the agent
says "oh you just have that washed every year or so"

If you buy the 'quality' stuff and you have your old siding prepped
properly for installation of the new, And you are powerwashing it
every year to avoid the grime and mildew, And you are replacing the
siding every 10-20 years when it reaches the end of its life, And
going through the hassle of finding someone to install it properly,

you may just as well have your wood siding scraped and repainted
every 10-20 and continue it's indefinite lifespan.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I'd agree if what you are saying was always true. My house is 27 years old
and have never had mold on it. It has been washed with a hose every five
years or so. Washed properly, the water will not get into the insulation.
It gets washed less often than my painted garage.

As for its end of life, I'd at 27 years and expect it will go another 20+.
Evidently, your experience has been much different than mine. Maybe you
live in a rainy climate or a swamp, but here in the northeast, it is a
rarity to have what problems you describe.