Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Tank Wiring Question

I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

I've searched for a good illustration that described the electrical
hookups to no avail. And with this being a used tank, no instructions
are present.

Please let me know how to hook this up or please point me to a good
illustration on how to do so. Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Feb 2, 12:24 pm, wrote:
I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

I've searched for a good illustration that described the electrical
hookups to no avail. And with this being a used tank, no instructions
are present.

Please let me know how to hook this up or please point me to a good
illustration on how to do so. Thanks in advance for your help!

How many wires have you got and what voltage as normal is 2 wires
black and white 220 volt

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Assuming it's a 240 volt tank, You connect two wires to a double pole
circuit breaker of the proper amperage for the wires,(usually #10 wire on 30
amp breaker) and one wire to the ground bar. At the tank there should be a
green screw or bare wire to connect the ground to. There is no neutral

wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

I've searched for a good illustration that described the electrical
hookups to no avail. And with this being a used tank, no instructions
are present.

Please let me know how to hook this up or please point me to a good
illustration on how to do so. Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a 240 - 40 gallon tank. Sounds like I was on the right track.
I'll hook up the hot wires to the two exposed on the tank and attach
the ground to the green screw.

Thanks again for your help!!!

On Feb 2, 1:36 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Assuming it's a 240 volt tank, You connect two wires to a double pole
circuit breaker of the proper amperage for the wires,(usually #10 wire on 30
amp breaker) and one wire to the ground bar. At the tank there should be a
green screw or bare wire to connect the ground to. There is no neutral

wrote in message

ps.com...

Posted to alt.home.repair

You sound like you havn't done this kind of thing. Please try to
find a wiring diagram for the heater. Also, please find someone
experienced to work with you. This is no place to have a
"learning curve" moment.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a 240 - 40 gallon tank. Sounds like I was on the right

track.
I'll hook up the hot wires to the two exposed on the tank and

attach
the ground to the green screw.

Thanks again for your help!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:10:17 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:02:27 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article om,

wrote:
I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

Assuming it's a 240V water heater -- there is no neutral. The black and white
wires in the supply connect to the two hot leads on the water heater, and the
bare wire in the supply connects to the ground on the water heater.

That white is SUPPOSED to be red. White is meant to be used for
neutral. Someone's used the wrong cable and failed to make the white
as red.

In what sense is using 10/2 WG to wire a water heater "using the wrong
cable"??

The wires themselves are not wrong. The insulation colors are. It
should have black and red, rather than black and white.

This could have been corrected by properly identifying the white as
being red.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:10:17 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:02:27 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article om,
wrote:
[...]

Then why did you say "Someone's used the wrong cable"?

The insulation colors are. It
should have black and red, rather than black and white.

This could have been corrected by properly identifying the white as
being red.

Or by marking it black, or blue, or yellow, or brown, or purple with pink
polka dots and a fluorescent-orange stripe -- basically any color except
white, gray, or green.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you care to elaborate on where the hell you would purchase a cable with a
black and a red and no white in it? Using a standard black and white 10-2
in this application is perfectly fine if you mark the white wire as a hot.

When I ran my 10-2 to my heat pump, I just taped the white with black tape.
Done.
--
Steve Barker

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
The wires themselves are not wrong. The insulation colors are. It
should have black and red, rather than black and white.

This could have been corrected by properly identifying the white as
being red.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 01:22:01 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:10:17 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:02:27 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article om,
wrote:
[...]

"The wrong cable". One with black and white, rather than one with
black and red. Where's the problem?

The insulation colors are. It
should have black and red, rather than black and white.

This could have been corrected by properly identifying the white as
being red.

Or by marking it black, or blue, or yellow, or brown, or purple with pink
polka dots and a fluorescent-orange stripe -- basically any color except
white, gray, or green.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 20:49:18 -0600, "Steve Barker"
wrote:

Do you care to elaborate on where the hell you would purchase a cable with a
black and a red and no white in it?

That, I don't know. Are those sold anywhere?

Using a standard black and white 10-2
in this application is perfectly fine if you mark the white wire as a hot.

Which I said in me first reply in this thread.

When I ran my 10-2 to my heat pump, I just taped the white with black tape.
Done.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do you care to elaborate on where the hell you would purchase a cable with a
black and a red and no white in it?

That, I don't know. Are those sold anywhere?

Perhaps you should have had that figured out before you started spouting this
nonsense about someone using "the wrong cable", no?

--
Regards,