Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Hot Water Tank Wiring Question

Just to clarify, if he has a three wire steel cable, he should mark the
white wire green on both ends and connect it as a ground

"Pop`" wrote in message
wrote:
It's a 240 - 40 gallon tank. Sounds like I was on the right track.
I'll hook up the hot wires to the two exposed on the tank and attach
the ground to the green screw.

Thanks again for your help!!!

On Feb 2, 1:36 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
Assuming it's a 240 volt tank, You connect two wires to a double pole
circuit breaker of the proper amperage for the wires,(usually #10
wire on 30 amp breaker) and one wire to the ground bar. At the tank
there should be a green screw or bare wire to connect the ground to.
There is no neutral

wrote in message

ps.com...

Yup ... but just to clarify, the "GROUND" wire is NOT the White Neutral
wire. In a North American 240V system, there is no use of the Neutral.
But, the GROUND wire definitely still has to be attached. It would be
illegal to bond the White Neutral wire to the thank body; it should be
capped and left alone.
You're also required to use a ganged ckt breaker; not just select two
breakers on opposite sides of the load center. That way there's only one
bar to move to turn off both at once. I wasn't sure how you meant to do
it in your original description.

Pop

Pop`