Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Hot Water Tank Wiring Question

Assuming it's a 240 volt tank, You connect two wires to a double pole
circuit breaker of the proper amperage for the wires,(usually #10 wire on 30
amp breaker) and one wire to the ground bar. At the tank there should be a
green screw or bare wire to connect the ground to. There is no neutral

wrote in message
ps.com...
I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

I've searched for a good illustration that described the electrical
hookups to no avail. And with this being a used tank, no instructions
are present.

Please let me know how to hook this up or please point me to a good
illustration on how to do so. Thanks in advance for your help!