Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Hot Water Tank Wiring Question

In article , Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:10:17 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Mark Lloyd

wrote:
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 11:02:27 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article om,
wrote:
I need to install a used hot water tank into an existing home that had
the tank already removed. So looking at the existing hookup is
impossible since no tank is there.

Two of the wires are hot, so I will simply attach 110V to each wire,
of course being on a separate leg off the box. Where does the neutral
wire attach? To the ground on the tank?

Assuming it's a 240V water heater -- there is no neutral. The black and

white
wires in the supply connect to the two hot leads on the water heater, and

the
bare wire in the supply connects to the ground on the water heater.

That white is SUPPOSED to be red. White is meant to be used for
neutral. Someone's used the wrong cable and failed to make the white
as red.

In what sense is using 10/2 WG to wire a water heater "using the wrong
cable"??

The wires themselves are not wrong.

Then why did you say "Someone's used the wrong cable"?

The insulation colors are. It
should have black and red, rather than black and white.

This could have been corrected by properly identifying the white as
being red.

Or by marking it black, or blue, or yellow, or brown, or purple with pink
polka dots and a fluorescent-orange stripe -- basically any color except
white, gray, or green.

--
Regards,