Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice gutter heat strips.......... any such thing?

I need to add gutters to my cabin this spring because the rain makes it all
muddy right around the cabin and I want to channel the water away. In the
winter, they become ice days, dangerous and heavy.

Does anyone here use a heat strip to keep the ice down? There are two 35'
runs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:07:12 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I need to add gutters to my cabin this spring because the rain makes it all
muddy right around the cabin and I want to channel the water away. In the
winter, they become ice days, dangerous and heavy.

Does anyone here use a heat strip to keep the ice down? There are two 35'
runs.

Steve

Check this Steve.. It may work for you. I get cold thinking about...

http://www.heatersplus.com/roofcable.htm

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I need to add gutters to my cabin this spring because the rain makes it
all
muddy right around the cabin and I want to channel the water away. In the
winter, they become ice days, dangerous and heavy.

Does anyone here use a heat strip to keep the ice down? There are two 35'
runs.

Steve

Check this Steve.. It may work for you. I get cold thinking about...

http://www.heatersplus.com/roofcable.htm

--
Oren

Steve, these really work well. We used them years ago in 'another life' and
we did not have the auto sensor control, having to rely on memory and a
switch. Spend the $67 on the 'Optional RS-2 Roof Cable Deicing Control'
since you won't be around to monitor it and leaving it on will be costly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you might try gutter helmet, snow and ice slide off rain goes down the
drain.

or you could install underground drain surrounding the building with
fabric mesh, corrugated pipe and lots of gravel with a long leader well
away from building.

the problem is more than mud it can undermine your building

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I need to add gutters to my cabin this spring because the rain makes it all
muddy right around the cabin and I want to channel the water away. In the
winter, they become ice days, dangerous and heavy.

Does anyone here use a heat strip to keep the ice down? There are two 35'
runs.

Steve

I think when I looked at a box of heating strips, they showed how you
can just lay it in a gutter and a down spout, to keep it free of ice.
Might wan to simply check the instructions that came with the runs you
have.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

I need to add gutters to my cabin this spring because the rain makes it
all
muddy right around the cabin and I want to channel the water away. In the
winter, they become ice days, dangerous and heavy.

Does anyone here use a heat strip to keep the ice down? There are two 35'
runs.

Steve

I think when I looked at a box of heating strips, they showed how you
can just lay it in a gutter and a down spout, to keep it free of ice.
Might wan to simply check the instructions that came with the runs you
have.

tom @ www.FreelancingProjects.com

I need just the kind that lays in the gutter. The roof is metal, and I
don't want to weave all those lines along the bottom of the roof. I think
that just the gutter heaters would do it. And be invisible inside the
gutters. Doing it the other way with all that exposed wire would be ugly.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What I saw was the kind that you can either weave on your roof, and
the box showed how to lay it in the bottom of the gutter and through
the down spout.

Quick google search turned up this:
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/13176.shtml

See the photo has the same wires on the roof, as in the bottom of the
gutter.

tom