Old June 20th 06, 03:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Default Replaced Ice Maker How Long For It To Produce Ice?

My old ice maker (Whirlpool) stopped making ice. Prior to it not
making ice it had started to make an intermittent creaking noise but
made good ice. After a few months of creaking it then stopped getting
water. I tested the module and found there was no voltage to the water
valve during the 7.5 seconds during the cycle that it is supposed to
send water to the ice maker. Last night I replaced the ice maker (the
whole unit inside the freezer compartment) with a new one I picked up
from Lowes (only $50...quite a deal compared to some online sites like
repairclinic.com that wanted over $100)...the model was ECKMF94. It
was an easy swap out of just three screws and plugging in the wiring
assembly.

Question is this: how long should it be before the new unit delivers
water to the ice maker?

After 13 hours (checked before I went to work) the ice maker still had
no water. Is the 24 hour period mentioned in the installation manual
for it start producing ice that hits the ice bucket or when it should
first state getting water to make ice?

Old June 20th 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Usually a month

Old June 20th 06, 04:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

There should be water going into the tray immediately and if the
freezer is at normal temp, you should have ice in an hour or two.

Old June 20th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

wrote:

After 13 hours (checked before I went to work) the ice maker still had
no water. Is the 24 hour period mentioned in the installation manual
for it start producing ice that hits the ice bucket or when it should
first state getting water to make ice?

Did you lower the arm to the icemaking position?

Jerry

Old June 20th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
There should be water going into the tray immediately and if the
freezer is at normal temp, you should have ice in an hour or two.

You would think that, but now always true. I replaced mine and it did not
work. I was PO'd and it was getting late. I went to bed and the next
morning I found that the ice fairly delivered a bunch. No idea why, but it
took about 12 hours for it to start functioning.

Old June 20th 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Chazzum

wrote:

Did you lower the arm to the icemaking position?

Jerry

Yes, of course.

To the guy that asked if I turned the water on: yes it is on.

Old June 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Chazzum

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
There should be water going into the tray immediately and if the
freezer is at normal temp, you should have ice in an hour or two.

You would think that, but now always true. I replaced mine and it did not
work. I was PO'd and it was getting late. I went to bed and the next
morning I found that the ice fairly delivered a bunch. No idea why, but it
took about 12 hours for it to start functioning.

Edwin;

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to find ice when I get home. If not,
next step will be to replace the water valve (one came with the kit)
and water line. I'm trying to avoid fiddling with the water line
though.

Chazzum

Old June 20th 06, 08:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

water vallve was probably bad