Posted to alt.home.repair
REP REP is offline

Default Yellow water from cold water tap

I recently had my bathroom renovated. I am more than satisfied with
everything that was done, but I did have some significant concerns
about the workmanship from the plumber on the job. He was consistently
late coming in and screwed up too many times to count.

That being said, I have noticed that I get a short stream of yellow
water from the cold water tap (2 seconds) when I first use it after
several hours. I have two sinks, and it only occurs at the one sink.
I also know that the they used the white 1/2" plumbing tubes to run the
plumbing during the renovation and not copper, if that makes a
difference.

The sink, faucet, EVERYTHING in the bathroom is new. 3/4" plastic
tubing was run up to the bathroom from the basement to feed the
bathroom. The only place copper was used was for the shower install.

Would anyone have an idea of what might be causing this? Is this
something the plumber may have done, is it bad materials? Could it be
the faucet?

Thanks for your response
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"REP" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Old faucet, or new with the renovation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
REP REP is offline

Old faucet, or new with the renovation?

Brand New out of a box...

Posted to alt.home.repair
REP REP is offline

REP wrote:
Old faucet, or new with the renovation?

Brand New out of a box...

This faucet he
http://www.art-bathe.com/Faucets/08.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"REP" wrote in message
ups.com...

REP wrote:
Old faucet, or new with the renovation?

Brand New out of a box...

This faucet he
http://www.art-bathe.com/Faucets/08.htm

If the entire supply line (from water main to faucet) is *really* plastic,
then it sounds like there's some sort of corrosion already within the
faucet. I'd call the manufacturer. Are you positive there's not even a short
length of iron pipe just before the faucet, or even a few feet away, perhaps
in the wall or in the basement?

Posted to alt.home.repair
REP REP is offline

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If the entire supply line (from water main to faucet) is *really* plastic,
then it sounds like there's some sort of corrosion already within the
faucet. I'd call the manufacturer. Are you positive there's not even a short
length of iron pipe just before the faucet, or even a few feet away, perhaps
in the wall or in the basement?

There is some copper in the basement, but this only happens to the one
faucet and only immediately after the water is turned on.

The faucet came with flexible mesh/metal hoses already attached that
hangs down about 8-12 inches from the base of the faucet. These hoses
were attached directly to the plastic. There is also a metal shut off
valve at that joint, for both Hot and Cold pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"REP" wrote in message
ps.com...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If the entire supply line (from water main to faucet) is *really*
plastic,
then it sounds like there's some sort of corrosion already within the
faucet. I'd call the manufacturer. Are you positive there's not even a
short
length of iron pipe just before the faucet, or even a few feet away,
perhaps
in the wall or in the basement?

There is some copper in the basement, but this only happens to the one
faucet and only immediately after the water is turned on.

The faucet came with flexible mesh/metal hoses already attached that
hangs down about 8-12 inches from the base of the faucet. These hoses
were attached directly to the plastic. There is also a metal shut off
valve at that joint, for both Hot and Cold pipes.

All I can do is relate this to my only similar experience. A bathroom faucet
in my previous house would produce brown water in the morning, almost
immediately upon turning it on, and it lasted about 2 seconds. From the
basement, I could see that there was copper pipe, and there was copper
coming out of the wall. What I could NOT see was that there was a short
length of iron pipe down lower. Whoever did the work installed a board
between the basement rafters, which hid the junction between the iron &
copper pipes. When the iron pipe was removed and replaced with copper, the
problem was gone.

You have to eliminate one cause at a time. The cheapest and easiest
experiment would be to change the flexible hose for the cold water. It's
also possible that the faucet itself has some sort of internal problem. It
wouldn't be the first badly designed product, especially considering how
much crap is made in China these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i would begin by letting the offending faucets water run a few times
for at least 30 minutes, you may be able to flush away whatever it is

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to justass, chas. wrote:
justass wrote:

The urine from your toilet is being siphoned out of the toilet and
into the pipes by a defective ballcock in the toilet.

You are joking right? Do you also drink your toilet water and wash your
dishes there!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:44:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

That's what I was going to say. Ball cocks are screwy and I would not be surprized if that plumper put a cheap peistreem on it.

Is tooth brushing water from hot tap safer than from cold tap? David P UK diy 197 May 20th 06 09:31 AM
Hot Water from the cold tap? mf Home Repair 8 November 21st 05 04:31 AM
hot water coming out of cold tap .... Ada UK diy 7 April 28th 05 09:04 AM
Hot water from cold tap simulet UK diy 1 May 31st 04 11:10 PM
No Cold water from bath tap Lynsey Stewart UK diy 7 March 5th 04 11:45 AM