Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter Covers - Think these will work?

Does anyone think that either of these Gutter Covers will work?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...z&dept%5Fid=30

These are in the Clearance section - maybe there's a reason?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...ept%5 Fid=301

Any concerns that they are installed under the first layer of shingles?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone think that either of these Gutter Covers will work?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...z&dept%5Fid=30

These are in the Clearance section - maybe there's a reason?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...ept%5 Fid=301

Any concerns that they are installed under the first layer of shingles?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message
I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

Not as of yet and it's been two years they've been on. It could be related
to the angle I have them set, but either way, nothing thus far.

oups.com...

SBH wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is
underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a
screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I
have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are
working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in
the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and
debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

the trouble isa small dirt like debris get thru the screens, and
collects. worse with the screens its a big hassle removing them to get
out that dirt like debris.

maples are beautiful, but dont assume the gutter is clean cause its
screened.

I had a home with this trouble, the new owner removed the trees

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message
news:Gd6dnfaRF6ZXjTHYnZ2dnUVZ_oGlnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

"Jeff" wrote in message
I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is

underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a

screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are

working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in

the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and

debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

The screens are next-to useless if pine trees or others with needles or
smaller droppings are an issue.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in
ups.com:

Does anyone think that either of these Gutter Covers will work?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...z&dept%5Fid=30

These are in the Clearance section - maybe there's a reason?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...pt%5Fid=300&su
bdept%5Fid=301

Any concerns that they are installed under the first layer of
shingles?

Those things have to be the biggest crock of **** I've seen. Except for a
light rain, the water will just pour off like there were no gutters at all.
I mean look at it. It covers the entire gutter opening!! If it worked, why
would they make gutters that wide and deep in the first place?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

The screens are next-to useless if pine trees or others with needles or
smaller droppings are an issue.

Bob

maples put out those fliers and seed pods, which get stuck on the roof
and screen turn to dirt fast go thru the screen and clog the gutter and
wherever the downspouts go.

15 years of experience cleaning crud out of those gutters

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why have gutters at all?

Have always felt they were often a cause of rot.

Our 24 inch overhang keeps rain/melting snow from roof sufficiently
away from house.

House is basic double slope roof, 62 feet long by 37 feet front to
back with a low peak height of 3 feet.

Only had to shovel snow off roof twice during the last 36 years.
Normally it either melts or blows away!

This is definitely a wet/windy and at times snowy location with very
little gradient ground slope away from house.

We also have many trees, including maples and birch that have grown up
around the house since 1970 and which are now well above height of the
roof.

However no problems. And no gutters to worry about!

Just a thought?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, so far so good. Sometimes I can see stuff piled on top. Either it's
washed over or blown off. My screens were 3 foot long pieces. They fit
under the first shingle and have groove that slips over the gutter edge.

news:xIydnZQY2bGJuzHYnZ2dnUVZ_q6vnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

SBH wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
I don't know how well these would work with heavy rains. I have simple
gutters guards I bought at HD about five years ago. One gutter is
underneath a maple tree which dumps lots of seeds and another is
underneath
an oak tree. Only had one clog in 5 years. These guards are just a
screen
pattern of diagonal shaped holes about 3/8 wide.

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I
have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are
working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in
the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and
debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I've tried several items including gutter helmets and screens. Only thing
that worked for hardwoods and pines were expensiver leafguard gutters with
builtin helmit.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone think that either of these Gutter Covers will work?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...z&dept%5Fid=30

These are in the Clearance section - maybe there's a reason?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...ept%5 Fid=301

Any concerns that they are installed under the first layer of shingles?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
"Bob F" :

I second the basic screen type guards which come in a 20 foot roll. I have
tried a few different types before going to the screen and they are

working
the best. BTW, I also have maple trees. One in the front yard and one in

the
back. Let me add, they are huge and that produces a lot of seeds and

debris.
SO far so good with lack of clutter.

The screens are next-to useless if pine trees or others with needles or
smaller droppings are an issue.

Bob

That just isn't so. It all depends on what you expect. That said, I
don't like the arched screens or the screen rolls. They both have
significant issues. The arched screens blow over and hang from the
gutters. And, when the don't, debris piles up on the back side of them.
They are visible from the street and just don't look good. They're
cheap.

Screen rolls are not rigid and will usually sag into the gutter,
allowing debris to pile on top creating a big mess.

Steelco gutter screens, however, are flat and rigid. They attached
securely to the gutters and won't blow off, even in a hurricane, if
they're installed correctly.

Most pine needles and other debris will lay on top the screen until it
is blown off or washed away by a downpour. Some pine needles will
definitely stand up in the screens, but they will not clog the screens
and will not allow the gutters to become clogged. It may not be pretty,
but it is effective at keeping gutters from clogging. That, after all,
is the goal.

JM
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jan 15, 5:29 pm, "DerbyDad03" wrote:
Does anyone think that either of these Gutter Covers will work?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...z&dept%5Fid=30

These are in the Clearance section - maybe there's a reason?

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/P...dept%5Fid=300&...

Any concerns that they are installed under the first layer of shingles?

My experience with both these kind is that in the winter the gap
freezes up, and you end up with water dripping all along the gutter,
which results in big icicles overhanging. I go with the plain holey
plastic myself, as described further down; I use the kind that come in
two foot pieces rather than the rolls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

those look like Leaf Guards...

STAY AWAY! i had those installled on my new house when they added
gutters and they were nothing short of a nightmare. Birds built nests
in 5 locations around my house, bird turds all over the side of the
house, birds chirping at 5am... the gutter installer came and caulked
the gaps (after pulling the nests and therefore killing all the baby
birds.. my kids weren't happy at all..) and that fixed the problem..
until next spring when the birds came back.

the Leaf Guard company was so nice on the phone.. promised to send out
an authorized installer to check and fix the issues.. no one ever
came, even after @10
calls to them. They are liars and their product is junk.

ended up removing the $1800 worth of gutter guards and tossing them
out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jungle Man" wrote in message
[...]

But it takes 3 times as long to remove the needles as it did
to clean the gutters.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

But it takes 3 times as long to remove the needles as it did
to clean the gutters.

Blow torch.