Liz

Default Gutter covers - yes or no?

After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it quits
and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere that
they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the small tree
debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our property we have
two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the spring, and in
addition we also get the stuff that falls from our neighbor's linden tree
(also known in this house as the tree from hell). Can anyone give me some
feedback on whether these guards are a good idea? And if so, any
recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

--
Liz, Philly 'burbs

Tim Killian

Liz wrote:
After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it quits
and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere that
they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the small tree
debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our property we have
two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the spring, and in
addition we also get the stuff that falls from our neighbor's linden tree
(also known in this house as the tree from hell). Can anyone give me some
feedback on whether these guards are a good idea? And if so, any
recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

I've used these:

http://www.hallettent.com/

They work as advertised. If you are replacing gutters, see if there is a
Leafgard dealer in your area. They sell a one-piece, extruded aluminum
gutter with the same type of solid cover. Gutters with covers will
overflow in heavy rain and at valleys, buy hey, nothing is perfect.
Liz

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
Liz wrote:
After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it
quits and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere
that they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the
small tree debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our
property we have two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the
spring, and in addition we also get the stuff that falls from our
neighbor's linden tree (also known in this house as the tree from hell).
Can anyone give me some feedback on whether these guards are a good idea?
And if so, any recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

I've used these:

http://www.hallettent.com/

They work as advertised. If you are replacing gutters, see if there is a
Leafgard dealer in your area. They sell a one-piece, extruded aluminum
gutter with the same type of solid cover. Gutters with covers will not
overflow in heavy rain and at valleys, buy hey, nothing is perfect.

Thanks, Tim. I opened the link you sent...unfortunately these won't work for
us...at least not on our entire roof. One section covering what was once
our back porch does not have shingles...it has a silver-colored coating
instead. (The pitch of the roof isn't as steep as it should be and we had
problems with ice clogging the gutters resulting in leaks in my office and
the silver stuff solved the problem.) Do all of the gutter covers go under
shingles?

Liz

Art

I had gutter helmet and they were crap. THey go under the shingles and
whether they work depends on the pitch of the roof. Leafguard work great
though only they are expensive. They do overflow in the toughest corners in
the worse storms but they act like a ski lift and the overflow ends up far
from the foundation. Mine are absolutely clean on 8 years. My father had
them too with large oaks on his property. They worked perfectly. But, like
I said, expensive.

Liz wrote:
[...]

Puddin' Man

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:24:54 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

I had gutter helmet and they were crap. THey go under the shingles and
whether they work depends on the pitch of the roof. Leafguard work great
though only they are expensive. They do overflow in the toughest corners in
the worse storms but they act like a ski lift and the overflow ends up far
from the foundation. Mine are absolutely clean on 8 years. My father had
them too with large oaks on his property. They worked perfectly. But, like
I said, expensive.

If/when one needs to clean or re-nail or add fasteners to the gutters,
how difficult is it to temporarily remove Leafguard to get access?

Thanks,
Puddin'
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
************************************************** ****;

Liz

"Art" wrote in message
ink.net...
I had gutter helmet and they were crap. THey go under the shingles and
whether they work depends on the pitch of the roof. Leafguard work great
though only they are expensive. They do overflow in the toughest corners
in the worse storms but they act like a ski lift and the overflow ends up
far from the foundation. Mine are absolutely clean on 8 years. My father
had them too with large oaks on his property. They worked perfectly. But,
like I said, expensive.

Thanks for your feedback, Art. Expense is not our primary concern if they
work. But if Leafguard needs to go under shingles, we wouldn't be able to
use them on the whole roof. I'm wondering if it might be just as
economically feasible to just hire someone twice a year to clean the
gutters...at least for another 12 years or so when our 3 1/2-year-old
grandson can take over!

Liz

mm

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:33:58 -0500, "Liz"
wrote:

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
I had gutter helmet and they were crap. THey go under the shingles and
whether they work depends on the pitch of the roof. Leafguard work great
though only they are expensive. They do overflow in the toughest corners
in the worse storms but they act like a ski lift and the overflow ends up
far from the foundation. Mine are absolutely clean on 8 years. My father
had them too with large oaks on his property. They worked perfectly. But,
like I said, expensive.

Thanks for your feedback, Art. Expense is not our primary concern if they
work. But if Leafguard needs to go under shingles, we wouldn't be able to
use them on the whole roof.

You don't have to use the same system on the whole house. And your
porch/office is probably only one story high, and probably only has a
gutter along one wall. So far, I have no leaves, but Harbor Freight
had a sale on the chepaest cutter screens I've ever seen. Even at
ful price they are cheap. Don't know if they work but they just clip
inside the gutter. I'm sure they don't let stuff in the gutter, but
how one gets the leaves off the plastic screen, I don't know. When
they dry up enough maybe they blow off by themselves.

They also sell a J-shaped attachment to the garden hose the sprays a
strong stream into the gutter. If my house were not 2-stories plus,
or if I had room for a taller ladder than 6 feet, it might work fine.
I guess it loosens things up and lets them go down the downspout. Is
that good enough?

I'm wondering if it might be just as
economically feasible to just hire someone twice a year to clean the
gutters...at least for another 12 years or so when our 3 1/2-year-old
grandson can take over!

I wouldn't let a 3 1/2-year-old do this. He probably won't even be
able to set up the ladder.

Liz

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
mm

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:17:56 -0500, mm
wrote:

They

I don't mean Harbor Freight. I mean Lowe's. It seemed very well
made, but I just couldn't reach my 2nd-floor gutters with it.

also sell a J-shaped attachment to the garden hose the sprays a
strong stream into the gutter. If my house were not 2-stories plus,
or if I had room for a taller ladder than 6 feet, it might work fine.
I guess it loosens things up and lets them go down the downspout. Is
that good enough?

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Liz

"mm" wrote in message

You don't have to use the same system on the whole house. And your
porch/office is probably only one story high, and probably only has a
gutter along one wall.

Thanks for your response. As it turns out, DH purchased from GutterGuard as
he was happy with their presentation and their price. And you're right,
they do make different products to fit as needed. I left my office to go in
to ask a few questions of the salesmen including asking about the small
stuff that falls from the trees in the spring. They assured us that they've
never had a problem with this and if they did they'd send one of their
installation crew out to clean them out. I called three people on their 15
page customer list last night and got good reports from all of them, one of
whom had the product installed 4 years ago with no problems with silt
backing up to date. Anyway, they're to be installed on Thurs. the 10th.
I'll be sure to report on this NG if there's ever a problem with them.

I'm wondering if it might be just as
economically feasible to just hire someone twice a year to clean the
gutters...at least for another 12 years or so when our 3 1/2-year-old
grandson can take over!

I wouldn't let a 3 1/2-year-old do this. He probably won't even be
able to set up the ladder.

LOL! I guess you didn't see where I wrote "another 12 years or so" - like
when he's 15 1/2. I may be getting desperate for some help but not THAT
desperate!!!

Liz

Liz wrote:
After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it quits
and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere that
they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the small tree
debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our property we have
two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the spring, and in
addition we also get the stuff that falls from our neighbor's linden tree
(also known in this house as the tree from hell). Can anyone give me some
feedback on whether these guards are a good idea? And if so, any
recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

--
Liz, Philly 'burbs

Read this article:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/541-Gut...le-Truth.shtml

Save your money.

Rich256

wrote in message
oups.com...

Liz wrote:
[...]

My son in law put these on. I really don't need gutters except to keep from
cutting a line in the ground, but am considering doing the same. You have
to put in some sort of diverter if you have gutters over your doors.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

Rich256 wrote:
My son in law put these on. I really don't need gutters except to keep from
cutting a line in the ground, but am considering doing the same. You have
to put in some sort of diverter if you have gutters over your doors.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

1. These look like they'd get wet-plastered with leaves, muck, and
debris just like anything else.

2. All that water from your roof is getting dumped fairly close to
your foundation. It may cause you to need a plastic-lined(on bottom)
gravel bed with a perforated drainage line (in the center) to carry
water away to a safe area.

Rich256

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rich256 wrote:
My son in law put these on. I really don't need gutters except to keep

from
cutting a line in the ground, but am considering doing the same. You

have
to put in some sort of diverter if you have gutters over your doors.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

1. These look like they'd get wet-plastered with leaves, muck, and
debris just like anything else.

2. All that water from your roof is getting dumped fairly close to
your foundation. It may cause you to need a plastic-lined(on bottom)
gravel bed with a perforated drainage line (in the center) to carry
water away to a safe area.

I don't think he has had any problems of anything sticking up there. If
there are foundation problems requiring getting the water far away they
would not be practical. And they are not cheap.

It sprays the water out away from the house. The grid is wide open. I
think if leaves happen to land on them you can blow them off. They are just
little scoops that direct the water outwards and works pretty much as they
show:.

http://www.rainhandler.com/animation.htm

Rich256 wrote:
I don't think he has had any problems of anything sticking up there. If
there are foundation problems requiring getting the water far away they
would not be practical. And they are not cheap.

It sprays the water out away from the house. The grid is wide open. I
think if leaves happen to land on them you can blow them off. They are just
little scoops that direct the water outwards and works pretty much as they
show:.

http://www.rainhandler.com/animation.htm

Downspouts connected to underground drainage lines that either go to
daylight or to a pop-up emitter in a safe area are common, practical,
and cheap.

I'd be especially worried about this rainhandler in an area where two
roof planes come together to form an angle. You'd have a large
quantity of water running down the intersection and right through this
grate and near the foundation.

John W Gintell

wrote:
Rich256 wrote:
My son in law put these on. I really don't need gutters except to keep from
cutting a line in the ground, but am considering doing the same. You have
to put in some sort of diverter if you have gutters over your doors.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

1. These look like they'd get wet-plastered with leaves, muck, and
debris just like anything else.

2. All that water from your roof is getting dumped fairly close to
your foundation. It may cause you to need a plastic-lined(on bottom)
gravel bed with a perforated drainage line (in the center) to carry
water away to a safe area.

What kind of plastic material is this? This sounds like a good solution.

TP

John W Gintell wrote:
wrote:

Rich256 wrote:

My son in law put these on. I really don't need gutters except to
keep from
cutting a line in the ground, but am considering doing the same.
You have
to put in some sort of diverter if you have gutters over your doors.

http://www.rainhandler.com/

1. These look like they'd get wet-plastered with leaves, muck, and
debris just like anything else.

2. All that water from your roof is getting dumped fairly close to
your foundation. It may cause you to need a plastic-lined(on bottom)
gravel bed with a perforated drainage line (in the center) to carry
water away to a safe area.

What kind of plastic material is this? This sounds like a good solution.

Has anyone used this gutter stuff..? http://www.gutterstuff.com/
Foam inserts. Ridiculously expensive, around here they want 10$
foot installed. They won't sell it to DIY.

TP
Rich256

wrote in message
oups.com...

Rich256 wrote:
[...]

I already have that problem with rain gutters. Sometimes the rain comes
down with such force it goes right over the gutters.

I have sandy soil so no worry about water. Will take all I can get G.
And my roof sticks out such that the rain gutters are already over two feet
away from the walls and foundation. I don't have any idea of what is
average.

wrote:
Liz wrote:
After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it quits
and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere that
they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the small tree
debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our property we have
two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the spring, and in
addition we also get the stuff that falls from our neighbor's linden tree
(also known in this house as the tree from hell). Can anyone give me some
feedback on whether these guards are a good idea? And if so, any
recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

--
Liz, Philly 'burbs

Read this article:

http://www.askthebuilder.com/541-Gut...le-Truth.shtml

Save your money.

Boy, he hit the nail on the head. I've tried the expensive kind with
the slits and besides not being able to see/access the inside of the
gutter, in the winter they freeze up so that the melt can't get in, and
you end up with stalactite icicles all down the gutter. going to kill
somebody when they fall off.
But the ones that work best for me are, as he said, the mesh kind,
which are the absolute cheapest. I use the slightly more expensive kind
that come in like 2 foot lengths that snap under the shingles and onto
the edge of the gutter, but if I didn't have shingles I'd use the even
cheaper kind that come in a roll and sort of arches up with the edges
wedged under the lips on both sides of the gutter. Anyway, cheap as it
is, it performs better than the expensive stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald Carter

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
"z" :

wrote:
Liz wrote:
[...]

Using the arched stuff would be a big mistake. You can't tuck the edge
under the shingles. The edge rests on top of the shingles. This creates
a dam and debris builds up all along the entire length of the screens.
Or, the wind lifts the screen and blows it over the edge of the gutter
and it just hangs there until you go around and flip it back over. You
may do this several times each week. The hinges will also fail and you
have nothing to hold them in place. Trust me, the arch metal screens are
crap. Take a look at http://www.gutterscreen.net. It's the best product
of it's kind I've ever seen. It is a large mesh product. It works
beautifully on my Mom's house. I don't have gutters, or I'd be using
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my experience, gutter guards or their equivalent are not worth the
money or time.

John Churchill
Builder/Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ronald Carter

All gutter protection products are not created equally useless. You
obviously haven't tried them all.

In a previous posting, Usenet was endowed with the following text from
: