Art

Default Gutter covers - yes or no?

I had gutter helmet and they were crap. THey go under the shingles and
whether they work depends on the pitch of the roof. Leafguard work great
though only they are expensive. They do overflow in the toughest corners in
the worse storms but they act like a ski lift and the overflow ends up far
from the foundation. Mine are absolutely clean on 8 years. My father had
them too with large oaks on his property. They worked perfectly. But, like
I said, expensive.

"Liz" wrote in message

"Tim Killian" wrote in message
Liz wrote:
After 34 years of cleaning our gutters, my DH has decided to call it
quits and check into gutter covers/guards. I remember reading somewhere
that they're good for trapping leaves but no good for keeping out the
small tree debris that falls from some trees in the spring. On our
property we have two humungous oak trees that drop that tree crap in the
spring, and in addition we also get the stuff that falls from our
neighbor's linden tree (also known in this house as the tree from hell).
Can anyone give me some feedback on whether these guards are a good
idea? And if so, any recommendations on one brand over another?

Thanks.

I've used these:

http://www.hallettent.com/

They work as advertised. If you are replacing gutters, see if there is a
Leafgard dealer in your area. They sell a one-piece, extruded aluminum
gutter with the same type of solid cover. Gutters with covers will not
overflow in heavy rain and at valleys, buy hey, nothing is perfect.

Thanks, Tim. I opened the link you sent...unfortunately these won't work
for us...at least not on our entire roof. One section covering what was
once our back porch does not have shingles...it has a silver-colored
coating instead. (The pitch of the roof isn't as steep as it should be
and we had problems with ice clogging the gutters resulting in leaks in my
office and the silver stuff solved the problem.) Do all of the gutter
covers go under shingles?

Liz