Default Gutter covers? Recommendations Needed

We currently have those 2 ft long white plastic gutter covers that
clip to the edges of the gutters and slide under the shingle with
perforated holes in them (purchased at Home Depot). They're very
effective in keeping leaves and branches out of the gutters but do
nothing to keep dirt/mud from piling up inside the gutter.

Consequently, the gutters now need to be cleaned out to get all the
mud/crud that's built up over the past 2-3 years. Normally, I
wouldn't think it's a big deal to clean them every 2-3 years but the
way our house is built, it's a major PITA to get up on the roof and
clean them.

I've seen all kinds of gutter covers advertised that tout that they're
the best/affordable however before I put down any money on any
particular system, I thought I ask if anyone here has had any good/bad
experiences with any particular type of system and also if anyone
has any recommendations on a good cover to install.
Roger Taylor

" wrote in message

[...]

No screen that I know of keeps the fine detritus out. If it were fine enuf
mesh to do that, it would plug up in no time. Much of the mud is just rain
wetted airborne dust that accumulates over time on the roof, and much of the
rest is mineral grains and fine detritus that come loose from the shingles.
When I replaced my gutters I left the screens off, they were so much work,
but then again I have a low pitch roof that is easy to get onto. As you have
difficult roof access, you might consider some kind of hinged screen that
reduces the work of getting under it for cleaning.

Doug Boulter

" wrote on 13 Jul 2005:

Normally, I
wouldn't think it's a big deal to clean them every 2-3 years but
the way our house is built, it's a major PITA to get up on the
roof and clean them.

How about getting up on a ladder, pulling out one piece, and using
a high pressure hose to blow the mud down the gutter as far as
possible? Replace the piece, move down the gutter, and repeat. I
should think that you could get away with climbing the ladder about
5 times per side of the house.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address
Art

I had gutter helmet in my last house. COsts a mint and was worthless. This
house has Leafguard brand gutters with built in helmets. 8 years old and
the gutters are still spotless. Only issue is that in the most difficult
valleys during the heavies storms there will be some water that doesn't go
into the gutter but the topping acts like a sky lift and the water ends up
10 feet from the foundation so it still isn't a problem. Only real problem
is that they cost a lot.