Roger Taylor

" wrote in message

We currently have those 2 ft long white plastic gutter covers that
clip to the edges of the gutters and slide under the shingle with
perforated holes in them (purchased at Home Depot). They're very
effective in keeping leaves and branches out of the gutters but do
nothing to keep dirt/mud from piling up inside the gutter.

Consequently, the gutters now need to be cleaned out to get all the
mud/crud that's built up over the past 2-3 years. Normally, I
wouldn't think it's a big deal to clean them every 2-3 years but the
way our house is built, it's a major PITA to get up on the roof and
clean them.

I've seen all kinds of gutter covers advertised that tout that they're
the best/affordable however before I put down any money on any
particular system, I thought I ask if anyone here has had any good/bad
experiences with any particular type of system and also if anyone
has any recommendations on a good cover to install.

No screen that I know of keeps the fine detritus out. If it were fine enuf
mesh to do that, it would plug up in no time. Much of the mud is just rain
wetted airborne dust that accumulates over time on the roof, and much of the
rest is mineral grains and fine detritus that come loose from the shingles.
When I replaced my gutters I left the screens off, they were so much work,
but then again I have a low pitch roof that is easy to get onto. As you have
difficult roof access, you might consider some kind of hinged screen that
reduces the work of getting under it for cleaning.