Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GE fridge on-door water dispenser power failure

We have a 4 year old GE fridge ( model number GSS25JFMBWW ). This is a
two door model with a water/ice dispender on the freezer section door.
We have been having intermittent problems with the water/ice dispenser
not working. Initially it looked like it was a water pipe problem. But
for some time we are not getting any indicator light on the dispenser.
Normally there is a green light showing the selection of
ice/water/crushed ice. Now there is no light and if the release handle
of the dispenser is pressed, there is no activity. Some time back we
had seen the light come back and the unit work for a little while. It
has been dead for few weeks now.

What is the best way to troubleshoot this? I can start with the water
supply system and see if it is clogged anywhere. But why is the
electrical section not working? If the water line is clogged, is the
water supply valve going to cause some fuse to blow? The rest of the
fridge seems to be working fine.

I opened up the back once. I can see the water supply valve there. What
is the best way to check if it is getting power and whether the valve
is still working?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

-Dipu

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't say for GE, but I have a Fridgidaire, and I was able to go to
their website and download detailed documentation on my refrigerator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the best way to troubleshoot this? I can start with the water
supply system and see if it is clogged anywhere. But why is the
electrical section not working? If the water line is clogged, is the
water supply valve going to cause some fuse to blow? The rest of the
fridge seems to be working fine.

Does the freezer compartment light turn on and off when you activate
the freezer door switch? I don't think the dispenser panel gets any
electricity unless the door switch indicates the door is closed.

Jerry