Default fridge water dispenser broke

I have a Sears Kenmore (I think) side by side refrigerator about 6-8
years old.

The water one day quit coming out of the dispenser on the front door.
The ice maker/dispenser still work fine dispensing ice out the front.

Does anybody have any tips on what it could be and how to check it and
troubleshoot. I was going to order the repair manual but there are
two- one for the ice maker and one for the rest of the fridge. Since
the ice maker is related to the water dispensor (I think there might be
one solenoid/valve common to both), I didn't want to lay out $30 for
both manuals if not necessary.

Are there any websites for troubleshooting this ?

Thanks for any help.

Thirsty Bob

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Since
the ice maker is related to the water dispensor (I think there might be
one solenoid/valve common to both), I didn't want to lay out $30 for
both manuals if not necessary.

Are there any websites for troubleshooting this ?

Thanks for any help.

Thirsty Bob

Check www.repairclinic.com

I think you are wrong about one solenoid. If there was only one, every time
you got a drink the ice would fill up.

Appliance Repair Aid

I have a Sears Kenmore (I think) side by side refrigerator about 6-8
years old.

The water one day quit coming out of the dispenser on the front door.
The ice maker/dispenser still work fine dispensing ice out the front.

Does anybody have any tips on what it could be and how to check it and
troubleshoot. I was going to order the repair manual but there are
two- one for the ice maker and one for the rest of the fridge. Since
the ice maker is related to the water dispensor (I think there might be
one solenoid/valve common to both), I didn't want to lay out $30 for
both manuals if not necessary.

Are there any websites for troubleshooting this ?

Thanks for any help.

Thirsty Bob

Howdy,

I have a Sears Kenmore (I think) side by side refrigerator about 6-8
years old.

Model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

The water one day quit coming out of the dispenser on the front door.
The ice maker/dispenser still work fine dispensing ice out the front.

Bad 1/2 of the fill valve, frozen water tank/reservoir, bad switch in
the dispensor, broken plastic mechanism in the dispensor are some
possible trouble makers.

I think there might be
one solenoid/valve common to both

At least 1 fill valve with 2 solenoids, 1/2 of the fill valve is for
icemaker and 1/2 for chilled water....some refrigerators have more thna
one fill valve.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Thanks for the response. Talked to a tech and he said he's pretty sure
its the fill valve as you indicated, and it indeed has 2 solenoids, one
for icemaker and one for water. Now the icemaker half has apparently
gone too. Fortunately there is a fill valve in stock, so I'll try that
this weekend. I did check the "bladder" (coil of tubing behind the
crisper) to see if frozen, but it wasn't. If it isn't fill valve, I
may need some help on how to get at the dispensor mechanism and will
supply model number, but sure seems like its the fill valve now that
both ice and water have quit.

Thanks again for your responses and I'll post after I get the part.

Bob

Whirlpool Water Dispenser Problem -- HELP ! Joey Home Repair 11 February 27th 05 08:39 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM