Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replace Popcorn Ceiling -- Best Replacement?

Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

Plain old smooth finish is never out of style, IMO. Just remove the popcorn
and paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

Plain old smooth finish is never out of style, IMO. Just remove the popcorn
and paint.

Agreed, except that underneath all that popcorn you'll usually find a
half finished tape and mudding job. Plan on "finishing" that job before
you paint. It doesn't require any special tools either.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm told that a plain simple finish shows any imperfections. What
tools and advice can you suggest regarding getting rid of all these
imperfections? I'm thinking of a plain simple white finish, and maybe
putting some crown molding around the edges. Sound good?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It takes a lot more pounds of popcorn than you'd think. I once did a
12x15 ceiling and I think I had to pop about 15lbs of corn. Then,
there's the caramel used to hold the popcorn on the ceiling. I think
I used about 1.5to 2 lbs of caramel per square foot. They are quite
costly ceilings. I perfer to just use paint these days and leave the
flat ceiling. It's much cheaper and easier to do.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm told that a plain simple finish shows any imperfections. What
tools and advice can you suggest regarding getting rid of all these
imperfections? I'm thinking of a plain simple white finish, and maybe
putting some crown molding around the edges. Sound good?

Advice? - You'll get what you pay for, so pay for a book:
http://www.amazon.ca/Drywall-Pro-Tip.../dp/1580112706
Personally, I like crown molding. Getting a smooth finish on the ceiling
is not hard, its just time consuming and depends on how much of a
perfectionist you want to be.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 17:59:30 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

wrote:
I'm told that a plain simple finish shows any imperfections. What
tools and advice can you suggest regarding getting rid of all these
imperfections? I'm thinking of a plain simple white finish, and maybe
putting some crown molding around the edges. Sound good?

Advice? - You'll get what you pay for, so pay for a book:
http://www.amazon.ca/Drywall-Pro-Tip.../dp/1580112706
Personally, I like crown molding. Getting a smooth finish on the ceiling
is not hard, its just time consuming and depends on how much of a
perfectionist you want to be.

Would your home design permit a "Spanish" stuccoed look? If done
well, by a professional who understands not going overboard for the
Spanish look -- or by your good self if you have studied up and done
some practice stucco-ing on a throw-away surface -- this works
beautifully to hide potential imperfections. I have that look on the
ceilings of all my plastered OR wallpapered rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The "knockdown" (or skip trowel) seems to be what most people want now a
days. See this site for excellent help.

http://www.drywallschool.com/knockdown.htm

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your house is older than mid-70's, asbestos was sometimes a component of
popcorn ceilings.

You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at it.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
ink.net...

If your house is older than mid-70's, asbestos was sometimes a component
of popcorn ceilings.

You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at it.

ed

So what? It is encapsulated and harmless. Reeder's Digest has a good
article about asbestos fraud in the January issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
et...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
ink.net...

If your house is older than mid-70's, asbestos was sometimes a component
of popcorn ceilings.

You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at it.

ed

So what? It is encapsulated and harmless. Reeder's Digest has a good
article about asbestos fraud in the January issue.

It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then you
are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer harmless.

While I agree that the issue is often overblown and a whole industry has
sprouted around "asbestos abatement" asbestos is a very real health concern
and scraping away at a popcorn ceiling that contains it is not a good idea.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then
you are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer
harmless.

You dampen it first to make it easy to scrape. Nothing is flying around. My
wife and I scraped about 1500 square feet of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then
you are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer
harmless.

You dampen it first to make it easy to scrape. Nothing is flying around.
My wife and I scraped about 1500 square feet of it.

So the fact that *you* dampened it makes this something that is universally
done by everyone who approaches this task?

As someone who has worked in healthcare all my life and who has seen the
effects of asbestos fibers firsthand, your anecdotal experience is hardly
reassuring or authoratative.

BTW, the results of exposure to asbestos fibers can take several years to
manifest themselves.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

link.net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then
you are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer
harmless.

You dampen it first to make it easy to scrape. Nothing is flying around.
My wife and I scraped about 1500 square feet of it.

So the fact that *you* dampened it makes this something that is
universally done by everyone who approaches this task?

Dampened it is how its universally done, how else do you remove it? Suite up
and use respirator suitable for fibers, of course and you close off the
working area too. (Not sure if you need to apply negative pressure.) Double
bag the trash.

As someone who has worked in healthcare all my life and who has seen the
effects of asbestos fibers firsthand, your anecdotal experience is hardly
reassuring or authoratative.

Was this from someone who was exposed to asbestos fibers regularly or was it
from Joe homeowner working on his house?

BTW, the results of exposure to asbestos fibers can take several years to
manifest themselves.

How much exposure and how long will it take? Any information available for
Joe homeowner removing a popcorn ceiling once or twice in his lifetime?

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message
. ..

link.net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper.
Then you are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer
harmless.

You dampen it first to make it easy to scrape. Nothing is flying around.
My wife and I scraped about 1500 square feet of it.

So the fact that *you* dampened it makes this something that is
universally done by everyone who approaches this task?

Dampened it is how its universally done, how else do you remove it? Suite
up and use respirator suitable for fibers, of course and you close off the
working area too. (Not sure if you need to apply negative pressure.)
Double bag the trash.

I don't think that everyone who goes at it would dampen it first. My
neighbor didn't when he scraped the stuff of his bedroom ceiling.

As someone who has worked in healthcare all my life and who has seen the
effects of asbestos fibers firsthand, your anecdotal experience is hardly
reassuring or authoratative.

Was this from someone who was exposed to asbestos fibers regularly or was
it from Joe homeowner working on his house?

There is no data currently that correlates levels of exposure to the
development of asbestosis. People who also smoke, however, are at higher
risk.

BTW, the results of exposure to asbestos fibers can take several years to
manifest themselves.

How much exposure and how long will it take? Any information available for
Joe homeowner removing a popcorn ceiling once or twice in his lifetime?

Again, there isn't any data like that. It depends on many factors, so it's
not a simple issue.

I don't at all have an alarmist attitude, but I thought I would mention it
because I think it's best to avoid any unnecessary exposure to the stuff if
possible.

Keeping it nice and damp when removing it would seem to be a very prudent
thing to do in addition to making it a lot easier to remove. I'm glad you
mentioned doing so.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Popcorn textured ceilings require very little skill to apply and have
look passable which is why they are so common.

Except patching up an existing popcorn ceiling and trying to make it match
is still a challenge to me so I called in a pro and he said he couldn't make
it match either. He wanted to do a complete spray job which cost just a
little more than trying to match the existing so he wasn't looking for extra
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just dealt with that in a bathroom.

Come to think of it, I've seen popcorn everywhere except in kitchens and
bathrooms. Don't think you want popcorn falling on you while taking a steamy
shower or bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
I just dealt with that in a bathroom.

Come to think of it, I've seen popcorn everywhere except in kitchens and
bathrooms. Don't think you want popcorn falling on you while taking a steamy
shower or bath.

Trust me, there are houses out there with popcorn everywhere, even in
the closets and bathroom. Kitchens are the worst. Its one of the first
things we remove when we pick up a property.

--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 10:26:00 GMT, "Ed Chait"
wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
ink.net...

If your house is older than mid-70's, asbestos was sometimes a component
of popcorn ceilings.

You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at it.

ed

So what? It is encapsulated and harmless. Reeder's Digest has a good
article about asbestos fraud in the January issue.

It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then you
are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer harmless.

While I agree that the issue is often overblown and a whole industry has
sprouted around "asbestos abatement" asbestos is a very real health concern
and scraping away at a popcorn ceiling that contains it is not a good idea.

ed

Well, you wouldn't want to do it with an infant stuck in the crib
in the corner, and anytime you're doing ANYTHING that kicks up a
lot of dust, you should wear a mask, but that's as far as I'd
bother going. Doesn't the normal removal technique also involve
misting water onto the ceiling, to soften the stuff up and help keep
the dust down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at
it.

I sent a sample of mine to a local laboratory for testing. The cost
was $50 and it came out clean. Now, I suppose they could have used
other materials for the ceilings in different rooms, but the odds seem
low and their are no certainties in life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Grandpa" wrote in message
# Fred # wrote:
I just dealt with that in a bathroom.

Come to think of it, I've seen popcorn everywhere except in kitchens and
bathrooms. Don't think you want popcorn falling on you while taking a
steamy shower or bath.

Trust me, there are houses out there with popcorn everywhere, even in the
closets and bathroom. Kitchens are the worst. Its one of the first things
we remove when we pick up a property.

--
Grandpa

I certainly wouldn't want it in a kitchen or bathroom, but it does wonderful
things for the acoustic properties of my home theater room.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Chait" wrote

While I agree that the issue is often overblown and a whole industry has
sprouted around "asbestos abatement" asbestos is a very real health
concern and scraping away at a popcorn ceiling that contains it is not a
good idea.

ed

Uh, ed. You're supposed to WET it first.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

link.net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
It is encapsulated and harmless until you go at it with a scraper. Then
you are releasing asbestos fibers into the air and it is no longer
harmless.

You dampen it first to make it easy to scrape. Nothing is flying around.
My wife and I scraped about 1500 square feet of it.

So the fact that *you* dampened it makes this something that is
universally done by everyone who approaches this task?

As someone who has worked in healthcare all my life and who has seen the
effects of asbestos fibers firsthand, your anecdotal experience is hardly
reassuring or authoratative.

BTW, the results of exposure to asbestos fibers can take several years to
manifest themselves.

ed

Then, you are an idiot or you didn't pay attention in class. Asbestos
fibers float in the air. They can't get dislodged individually and float
around if they're wet.

How much do you make a year? Return it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Chait" wrote

I don't think that everyone who goes at it would dampen it first. My
neighbor didn't when he scraped the stuff of his bedroom ceiling.

It's official. Idiots live in clusters. Even if it DOES NOT contain
asbestos, taking it off while wet is the EASY way. Taking it off dry is
more work, and not the suggested method.

Are you two related?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Greg Esres" wrote in message
ups.com...
You might want to know for certain before you go scraping away at
it.

I sent a sample of mine to a local laboratory for testing. The cost
was $50 and it came out clean. Now, I suppose they could have used
other materials for the ceilings in different rooms, but the odds seem
low and their are no certainties in life.

Post 1978 it is illegal to use asbestos in a house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

link.net...

"Ed Chait" wrote in message
[...]

My neighbor scraped all of it off his bedroom ceiling without wetting it at
all.

This is far from being universal knowledge and I've never really seen a
class called "popcorn ceiling removal 101."

In any case, thank you for continuing the thread, maybe it will help raise
the consciousness over the issue.

Regards,

Ed Chait

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Ed Chait" wrote

I don't think that everyone who goes at it would dampen it first. My
neighbor didn't when he scraped the stuff of his bedroom ceiling.

It's official. Idiots live in clusters. Even if it DOES NOT contain
asbestos, taking it off while wet is the EASY way. Taking it off dry is
more work, and not the suggested method.

Are you two related?

Steve

Well, I thought I would comment on the issue based on the fact that some
people may not be aware of the "suggested" method.

It seems I have ruffled your feathers, but I'm sure you can get over it in
time.

ed

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Sam

My name is Greg just wondering if you solved your ceiling problems ?
There are a couple of options you can consider .
1) As far as a textured look you could buy a cheap , bedding(drywall)
knife and scrape the popcorn off and then paint it for a different look
..But dont scrape hard just enough to remove the top layer/loose popcorn
..Cheap but different. Or another alternative is use water to wet the
popcorn and then use a drywall knife to remove it.Take some joint
compound on the knife sling it on the ceiling , wait about 15minutes
and pull the knife across the compound in three different directions to
flaten the compound,try to keep your pulls and mud consistent.And there
you go a cheap alt. your very own skip trowel pattern.A little elbow
grease,and determination and youll get it.
Good luck!
wrote:
Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plain old smooth finish is never out of style, IMO. Just remove the popcorn
and paint.

Beware that older homes can have traces of asbestos in the popcorn
ceiling. I suggest getting it tested (most professionals will include
this in the estimate, and might even be required by law). If you will
be doing this yourself, make sure to wear a mask. It's probably a
good idea to seal off the room with plastic sheets as you're in for a
lovely mess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Plain old smooth finish is never out of style, IMO. Just remove the
popcorn
and paint.

Beware that older homes can have traces of asbestos in the popcorn
ceiling. I suggest getting it tested (most professionals will include
this in the estimate, and might even be required by law). If you will
be doing this yourself, make sure to wear a mask. It's probably a
good idea to seal off the room with plastic sheets as you're in for a
lovely mess.

LISTEN PEOPLE!

Unless the popcorn has been painted, just wet it first, and IF there is any
asbestos, it won't float around on the breeze. If it HAS been painted, just
wear a good filter, and wet it when it hits the floor. Have fans running to
suck air out of the room and blow it in at the same time.

One regular room does not require heroic steps or expensive testing. And
the chances are that it doesn't have asbestos anyway.

The dust is the dangerous thing. Don't let it get dusty. Use either water
or air flow.

And get it tested BEFORE you do the job if you're that afraid.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 7:33 am, "Steve B" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

If you take some basic precautions it can be done without
contaminating your house. You should secure plastic over the floor
and walls, making a plastic bowl of sorts. Isolate the room and use
plenty of water. An asbestos abatment contractor would be the best
choice, and may be the only legal choice depending where you live and
if you are in a free-standing stucture or in a multi unit
structure(condo/appartment).

http://asbestoscoconuts.blogspot.com/

If you look at the first picture on the above page you can see a
portion of the plastic setup looks like for popcorn removal.