Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Fearn Don Fearn is offline

Default Replace Popcorn Ceiling -- Best Replacement?

I think it was who stated:

Hello,

I have a popcorn ceiling that is in need of replacement. Here it is
2007 and I'm wondering what is the most popular ceiling option these
days? I keep hearing the terms "Skip Trowel", "Textured", and "Flat",
but am not sure which of these options is the most "popular" these
days. I'm planning on doing the work myself, so if possible, I would
like an option that does not require a lot of experience, or expensive
equipment to purchase. Are there any good Web Sites out there that can
give you good "how to" information on this subject?

I just dealt with that in a bathroom. What I did was to scrape off the
popcorn with a wide putty knife, vacuuming the stuff up as I went.
After two or three passes, I had a surface that looked mottled and
pitted, but in a mostly uniform way all over the ceiling. I primed it
and painted it and it looks MUCH better.

I have no idea if it would be "popular", nor do I care. *I* like the
look of it; more importantly, SWMBO likes the look of it (it's HER
bathroom, after all ;^) and what else matters unless we're going to be
giving tours to the public?

It also required no "experience, or expensive equipment to purchase".

Enjoy . . . .

--
On the other hand, you have different fingers