Posted to alt.home.repair

Default popcorn asbestos ceiling

My son is living alone in his grandparents' old house. Recently he's
told me that
his roof is leaking and some of the sparkly ceiling in the dining room
is falling down.
He had it tested and it came back 5 percent asbestos. Yikes! We
just don't have much money. I want him to leave the house and come here
or go
anywhere but he won't. He says he's going to take care of the problem
himself. How dangerous is this stuff?

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Worried Mom

Posted to alt.home.repair

Congratulate your son on his wisdom in having the material tested. Now
he needs to use that information wisely.

This is absolutely a job for a professional - an asbestos abatement
firm. And your son should definitely move out until the house is
cleaned up.

emichael brandt, M.D.

bubblegummom wrote:
My son is living alone in his grandparents' old house. Recently he's
told me that
his roof is leaking and some of the sparkly ceiling in the dining room
is falling down.
He had it tested and it came back 5 percent asbestos. Yikes! We
just don't have much money. I want him to leave the house and come here
or go
anywhere but he won't. He says he's going to take care of the problem
himself. How dangerous is this stuff?

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Worried Mom

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
My son is living alone in his grandparents' old house. Recently he's
told me that
his roof is leaking and some of the sparkly ceiling in the dining room
is falling down.
He had it tested and it came back 5 percent asbestos. Yikes! We
just don't have much money. I want him to leave the house and come here
or go
anywhere but he won't. He says he's going to take care of the problem
himself. How dangerous is this stuff?

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Worried Mom

Friable asbestos - free floating asbestos fiber - is what is dangerous.
Water is often used to reduce the risk of free floating fiber.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27 Sep 2006 13:32:58 -0700, "bubblegummom"
wrote:

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Worried Mom

I'm not an expert here. I have worked in old buildings that went
through asbestos abatement. What I know is not to disturb the material
and seek to contain it (qualified people). It can be expensive to
abate and if my memory serves me it has to be disposed of properly.
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Worried Mom

I'm not an expert here. I have worked in old buildings that went
through asbestos abatement. What I know is not to disturb the material
and seek to contain it (qualified people). It can be expensive to
abate and if my memory serves me it has to be disposed of properly.

Put it in a bag marked "asbestos" and take it to the dump. That is all the
asbestos abatement companies do. As far as having an expert do it, it is
easily withing the relm of the average person to do, skill-wise. However,
the law often ignors this and demands that you hire an expensive abestos
abatement company to remove it. My friend has asbestos siding and is
forbidden from removing it himself. Info above on disposal is from an
abatement company.

--
Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens

constantly."

Posted to alt.home.repair

5%, I probably breathed more than that as a kid every morning waiting
for the bus. Legally it may be a problem, but the danger is blown way
out of proportion. Until some lawyers saw a way to get rich, cars used
to spew it every time they stopped & if standard shift, again when they
took off and people still lived till a ripe old age. People working in
asbestos processing plants may have been dropping like flies, but that
is another matter entirely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"e michael brandt" wrote in message
Congratulate your son on his wisdom in having the material tested. Now he
needs to use that information wisely.

This is absolutely a job for a professional - an asbestos abatement firm.
And your son should definitely move out until the house is cleaned up.

emichael brandt, M.D.

No, it is easily a DIY job. Sorry Doc, but you are over reacting. In the
present state, it is safe to handle. It can be easily removed with dampening
and scraping/wiping. Why move out of the house? Unless the fibers are
floating in the air, it is perfectly safe. Skin contact does no harm. It
is encapsulated in paint and not a hazard at all.

My wife and I removed all of ours. We dislike the look of it, but the
asbestos is not a concern it done with some care. There is NO reason to
spend thousands of dollars to have a "professional" remove it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bubblegummom wrote:
My son is living alone in his grandparents' old house. Recently he's
told me that
his roof is leaking and some of the sparkly ceiling in the dining room
is falling down.
He had it tested and it came back 5 percent asbestos. Yikes! We
just don't have much money. I want him to leave the house and come
here or go
anywhere but he won't. He says he's going to take care of the problem
himself. How dangerous is this stuff?

Does anyone here have experience with removing asbestos ceiling
material? How did you do it?

Really bad move: testing for asbestos. He now has to disclose to any
potential buyers that: a)The house was contaminated, infested, and awash
with cancer-causing, life-threating, and evil material, and b) An amateur
cleaned it up.

Or he can pay several tens of thousands of dollars for professional
remediation.

The results are similar to disclosing several children where hacked to
pieces in the back bedroom ("But it's okay, we cleaned up the blood and
stuff").

Watch my lips: There has never been a documented case of a health problem
from ANY commercial product containing asbestos. Not in application, use,
removal, storage, sale, transport, or anything else you can do with
insulation, brake pads, fire-proofing, or any other asbestos product.

You son's health is not in jeopardy, no matter what he does. His pocketbook,
however, is going to take a BIG hit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:38:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

[...]

I think he should fix the roof leak, paint the ceiling,
and resolve not to drill or cut holes in it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

kids used toplay with mercury as a toy back in the 40's lead toys were
pretty common up until the 80's but no one noticed. a couple of people
getting sick is all it takes to cause a blow out and make some
materials regulated. I have no idea what the statistics are on asbestos
myself, but I'm sure they are on the internet somewhere if you look for
them.

Empresser #124457

The best Games