Kirby

Default Removing popcorn from ceiling?

Left the lid off. Where the popcorn hit the ceiling, it has left an oil
mark. Do I need to repaint the ceiling? Will the oil bleed through the new
paint?

bumtracks

"Kirby" wrote in message
Left the lid off. Where the popcorn hit the ceiling,
Will the oil bleed through the new paint?

popcorn oil bleeds through old paint
so if you paint over it the new paint will cover it fine, until it gets old.

Boatman

I would clean the spot using TSP (trisodium phosphate is a
good degreaser cleaner). Then use shellac to seal the spot if there is
still any discoloration.

It may be a good idea to prep the kitchen ceiling with a TSP
washing to get rid of any cooking vapours that may have deposited a
film of oil and dust. Paint won't stick to dirt or oil.

Mike

P.S. I used TSP to remove the grey woodstove smoke buildup from a
ceiling when all other cleaners failed. TSP is excellent, just don't
forget to rinse and used rubber/vinyl gloves.