Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Nail guns

wrote in message

I have used a hammer for the past almost 60 years and aside from
hitting my thumb a few times, I have never been injured. I could not
count the number of incidences I have heard about people getting
severely injured with nail guns.

Yeah - and before cars became commonplace, there were far fewer reported
cases of people getting killed in head on horse collisions too.

Nail guns are dangerous tools,

So are table saws.

It's not
"if" you'll get shot with one of them, it's "WHEN".

Your rant would have been totally acceptable up to this point. On this one,
you are all wet.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message

It's called LAZINESS. Todays American youth are all the laziest
mother****ers in all of history. They waste huge amounts of money to
offset their laziness and they are the biggest energy wasters on
earth. Then they wonder why they are all fat and spend their entire
lives when off work, in front of their tv and computer, or on their
cellphones.

Damn, I'm going to have to tell my kids that this is what they are when they
get home from their jobs, and their studies, and their other activities.
They'll be surprised to know this about themselves and I'm sure they will be
genuinely appreciative for your having made them aware of their condition.
Unfortunately, they can't respond for themselves because they are too busy
with productive lives to spend any time on usenet like you and I. So - I'll
respond for them... Ready... Here it comes... Bull****!

I might be old, but I know how to do honest work without
destroying the atmosphere to power all these electrical toys. I'd be
happy to teach any of these youth what a REAL MAN is all about, but
not one of them would be willing to get off their lazy ass to learn.
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that i can place nails with a
hammer as fast as any nailgun, if I want to. But since I strive for
accuracy and quality work, I would not be willing to try.

The collective group here stands in awe of you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 13:06:12 GMT, "Leon"

I have used a hammer for the past almost 60 years and aside from
hitting my thumb a few times, I have never been injured. I could not
count the number of incidences I have heard about people getting
severely injured with nail guns. Nail guns are dangerous tools, and
they are costly to use because of the high cost of the nails and the
amount of energy needed to operate them. If you are too weak to
operate a hammer, or just too damn lazy to use your muscles, I suggest
that YOU stay out of the garage. Nailguns may save a few minutes of
time, but the cost to operate them exceeds the extra cost of labor to
do it with a plain hammer. This does not even take into account the
medical bills, pain, and loss of work time encountered when you shoot
yourself or another employee with one of those goddamn guns. It's not
"if" you'll get shot with one of them, it's "WHEN". Besides this,
hand hammered nails hold much better than nailgun nails, which is why
guys that use nailguns almost always put twice the amount of nails
that they would use by hand. Nail guns should have never been
invented, and those that use them should be required by law to be
certified and licensed prior to using them, because it's often someone
else that that gets shot by them.

OK, anything with a cord is dangerous, very dangerous. You can should use a
hand saw from now own unless you are too weak to operate a hand saw.
Apparently you have not used a nail gun enough to realize that they truly
are cheaper to operate than a regular hammer. Time savings is immense.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:29:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Utter nonsense. That must be why carpenters use nail guns now. It
costs them more money.

It's called LAZINESS. Todays American youth are all the laziest
mother****ers in all of history.

Your are a foul mouth SOB also. No need for you here.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:36:08 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:29:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Utter nonsense. That must be why carpenters use nail guns now. It
costs them more money.

It's called LAZINESS. Todays American youth are all the laziest
mother****ers in all of history.

Your are a foul mouth SOB also. No need for you here.

Easy, there! Yes, he didn't have to use strong language, but he DOES
have a point!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 11:27:30 -0600, wrote:

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:29:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Utter nonsense. That must be why carpenters use nail guns now. It
costs them more money.

It's called LAZINESS. Todays American youth are all the laziest
mother****ers in all of history. They waste huge amounts of money to
offset their laziness and they are the biggest energy wasters on
earth. Then they wonder why they are all fat and spend their entire
lives when off work, in front of their tv and computer, or on their
cellphones. I might be old, but I know how to do honest work without
destroying the atmosphere to power all these electrical toys. I'd be
happy to teach any of these youth what a REAL MAN is all about, but
not one of them would be willing to get off their lazy ass to learn.
I'd be willing to put money on the fact that i can place nails with a
hammer as fast as any nailgun, if I want to. But since I strive for
accuracy and quality work, I would not be willing to try.

There is a factory in a nearby town that manufactures these pre-fab
homes, and almost every week there is someone in the newspaper that is
injured by a nailgun. At least one mam has died in the past. Yeah,
cars and power saws can be dangerous, but they are safe if handled
properly. Nailguns can and do misfire, and thats when accidents
happen. You can NOT be safe enough with them. Sooner or later, one
of them is going to misfire and injure or kill the user or another
person. Just like a rifle, anything that shoots an object under high
pressure are the most dangerous devices known to man. I personally
consider a nailgun far more dangerous than a rifle. Rifles are
generally loaded and shot as intended, and the number of shots per day
are minimal. Nailguns are taken for granted, and fired thousands of
times in one day. Thats when accidents happen. One jammed nail and
someone is likely to get hurt or killed. I wont even go near someone
using one of them. I once had a friend ask me to help him with some
home repairs. When I got there he was using a nailgun. I told him
that if he wanted my help, he'd have to turn that thing off, or I
would go back home. He seemed to have the attitude that building
without a nailgun was not possible. I proved him wrong.

Do you where safety goggles when you hammer? It is recommended by my
hammer manufacturer, but I fail to fully follow those directions and
that makes me subject to a serious injury.

The same applies with a nail gun, as in cases I've read about injuries
and it always seemed that safety mechanisms were disabled by the user.

I can tell from your experience that you can drive a 16d nail with two
strokes of a hammer. With a nail gun, pull the trigger. Hammers make
my old hands hurt and aggravate my arthritis (claw hand).

You are not wrong for wanting to hammer everything. I'm very judicious
with my nailers, but I still don't wear them safety glasses... oh
well.

--
Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

aspasia wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 13:36:08 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:29:33 -0500, krw wrote:

Utter nonsense. That must be why carpenters use nail guns now. It
costs them more money.

It's called LAZINESS. Todays American youth are all the laziest
mother****ers in all of history.

Your are a foul mouth SOB also. No need for you here.

Easy, there! Yes, he didn't have to use strong language, but he DOES
have a point!!!

I believe every generation had lazy youth.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:29:19 -0800, Oren wrote:

Do you where safety goggles when you hammer? It is recommended by my

I need a new key board: "wear".
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Hammers are dangerous tools. I would not own one of them. They
truely are CLUBS and they can kill. The best use for a hammer is to
sell it to a recycler to turn back into raw steel to make screwdrivers.

--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I'm curious. How's the noise level on the compressor included in these
Porter-Cable gun / compressor packages? I'm about to replace my 5hp
compressor ( Coleman brand - direct drive ) because of the noise level.
Even with noise protection it is way tool loud. Is the compressor
output adequate for spraying? I haven't seen the specs.

Michael Faurot wrote:
Tom The Great wrote:

I went to HomeDepot one day, and found a brad gun, finish nailer and
compressor on sale. It came with a rebate for a stapler too, which is
still in the shrink wrap. It's a porter cable, I dont' use it much,
but when I want it to work, it works like a champ.

I did about the same thing. I believe there may be threee different
Porter Cable gun/compressor kits at Home Depot, each coming with
the same compressor but differing in the number of guns included.
The one I got was about $300 and came with an 18g brad nailer, 16g
finish nailer, a stapler, a length of air hose, nails for each of
the guns, a carrying case for all the guns, a small tube of oil and
the pancake style compressor.

I really like this kit and all of the guns have worked great. I've
mostly used the brad and finish nailers, but have also found an
occasional use for the stapler.

Only thing I have done, is figure if I want a framing gun, but I
figured I don't do enough work to justify buying it, when I can spend
money on so much other stuff.

I decided I wanted a framing nailer as well, but knew I wouldn't use
one often enough to justify the cost. So I wound up getting one from
Harbor Freight for about $70 along with a couple different sizes of
nails. While only $70, it's worked flawlessly each of the times I've
needed it.

remove ".invalid".

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
krw krw is offline

In article ,
says...
krw wrote in news:MPG.2005bcaf2fd251f2989e89
@news.individual.net:

In article om,
says...
I'm curious. How's the noise level on the compressor included in these
Porter-Cable gun / compressor packages? I'm about to replace my 5hp
compressor ( Coleman brand - direct drive ) because of the noise level.
Even with noise protection it is way tool loud.

They're loud. I have mine in the corner of my basement and plumbed
around the basement and into the garage. A 50' hose gets me to
pretty much anywhere in the house and most of the outside. I leave
the noise behind.

I have one of those compressor/gun kits, too. It works well, functionally.
But I wear ear muffs when I use it. And my grandson hollers when the
compressor cycles.

I left mine powered on one night (remember, it's in the basement
plumbed around the house). My son and his fiancee stayed overnight
that night and it just about scared them green (they were on the
floor above it). I slept through it. ;-)

Is the compressor
output adequate for spraying? I haven't seen the specs.

It's only a couple of GPM, so likely not.

Not nearly enough, unless what you're using is a Critter sprayer.

It's a good tool, but it has limitations. They all do.

Agreed. I bought it as a starter kit. I've been most happy with
Porter Cable tools. ...though I just found out the replacement
battery for my PC 14.4V drill I killed is worth $75. :-(

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Mine's in the garage. There is a cat door from the garage to the kitchen. I
have five cats. They like the garage, lots of places to snoop. If you are in
the kitchen and hear the compressor come on, stay clear of the door or you
will get run over.

"krw" wrote in message
t...
I left mine powered on one night (remember, it's in the basement
plumbed around the house). My son and his fiancee stayed overnight
that night and it just about scared them green (they were on the
floor above it). I slept through it. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Dave Herron wrote:
I'm curious. How's the noise level on the compressor included in these
Porter-Cable gun / compressor packages?

Loud and noisy--but it works well. It's an oil-less type system.

Is the compressor output adequate for spraying? I haven't seen the
specs.

I doubt it has enough capcity/volume/flow/etc. to handle spraying.
It's fine for driving the nail guns, a blower nozzle and inflating
tires--but that's probably about it.

remove ".invalid".

Nail guns SBH Woodworking 59 January 5th 07 05:07 AM
Nail Guns Weatherlawyer UK diy 4 August 25th 06 08:29 PM
Harbor Freight Nail Guns MOP CAP Metalworking 7 January 20th 06 02:26 PM
Paslode Nail Guns - China A Concerned Woodworker Woodworking 61 May 5th 05 05:00 PM
nail guns (ballistic hammer?) -- question larsen-tools Metalworking 27 October 22nd 03 09:29 AM