Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Loft access ladders

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair

RLM wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:24:15 -0800, CptDondo wrote:

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

Have you thought about a ladder that retracts into the loft like ones used
for attics.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00&N=0+5000695

That was one thought.... The loft is a sort of balcony for lack of a
better word, or a big shelf with one side open to the room below. Or
maybe an overgrown cubbyhole. There's no way to put one of those in.

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

CptDondo wrote:
RLM wrote:
[...]

How about a ladder as used for tall library shelves?

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

No real source in PNW, but look also for "library ladder".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CptDondo" wrote in message
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

Well, I don't have access to a woodshop.... It would be hard to make
one that looks decent with just hand tools.

That would be my first choice, though. I've done it before - a few
hardwood dowels, and some nice clear wood for the uprights...

But with the prices that I've seen for decent ladders, that may well
become an option.

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:24:20 -0800, CptDondo
wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

Well, I don't have access to a woodshop.... It would be hard to make
one that looks decent with just hand tools.

That would be my first choice, though. I've done it before - a few
hardwood dowels, and some nice clear wood for the uprights...

But with the prices that I've seen for decent ladders, that may well
become an option.

IIRC the price of ladders includes 10 percent, or 30 percent or
somerthing for liability insurance. So be sure to consider the cost
of suing yourself.

--Yan

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

IIRC the price of ladders includes 10 percent, or 30 percent or
somerthing for liability insurance. So be sure to consider the cost
of suing yourself.

Heh! I was self-employed for about 10 years. Towards the end, my
liability insurance was about 15% of my gross income....

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
A: One's a bottom living scum sucker and the other one is a fish.

--Yan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

What about a metal spiral stair case? Personally I would prefer one
over a 10' ladder, at my age.

These are kit.

http://www.theironshop.com/metal_01.htm

Good Luck.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the
back, but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not
really attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Can't help you with the ladder, but it would be criminal to not include a
poll to slide down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the
back, but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not
really attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Swimming pool supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CptDondo wrote:
That was one thought.... The loft is a sort of balcony for lack of a
better word, or a big shelf with one side open to the room below. Or
maybe an overgrown cubbyhole. There's no way to put one of those in.

--Yan

Andy writes:
Sounds like a perfect application for a stripper pole..... You'd
have
to learn how to shinney up it, but by the time you got there you'd be
tired enough to go to sleep immediately.... And in case of a fire,
you could be down in a second.....
And the wife could use it for other things (grin)

Just an idea from Eureka, Texs

Andy

Access to loft conversion [email protected] UK diy 5 February 27th 05 11:55 PM
Loft Ladders Edward W. Thompson UK diy 9 November 1st 04 10:50 AM
loft ladders MattP UK diy 6 February 8th 04 02:56 PM
Who knows how loft ladders work? Ged UK diy 2 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
No access to loft space. Mike Hibbert UK diy 4 August 31st 03 07:19 PM