DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loft access ladders (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/187249-loft-access-ladders.html)

CptDondo December 27th 06 06:24 PM

Loft access ladders

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

CptDondo December 27th 06 07:25 PM

Loft access ladders

RLM wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:24:15 -0800, CptDondo wrote:

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

Have you thought about a ladder that retracts into the loft like ones used
for attics.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...00&N=0+5000695

That was one thought.... The loft is a sort of balcony for lack of a
better word, or a big shelf with one side open to the room below. Or
maybe an overgrown cubbyhole. There's no way to put one of those in.

--Yan

N8N December 27th 06 07:28 PM

Loft access ladders

CptDondo wrote:
RLM wrote:
[...]

How about a ladder as used for tall library shelves?

nate

dpb December 27th 06 07:30 PM

Loft access ladders

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

No real source in PNW, but look also for "library ladder".

Eigenvector December 27th 06 08:16 PM

Loft access ladders

"CptDondo" wrote in message
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

CptDondo December 27th 06 08:24 PM

Loft access ladders

Eigenvector wrote:

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

Well, I don't have access to a woodshop.... It would be hard to make
one that looks decent with just hand tools.

That would be my first choice, though. I've done it before - a few
hardwood dowels, and some nice clear wood for the uprights...

But with the prices that I've seen for decent ladders, that may well
become an option.

--Yan

mm December 27th 06 09:41 PM

Loft access ladders

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:24:20 -0800, CptDondo
wrote:

Eigenvector wrote:

Why don't you just make one if you can? It's not tough making a stepladder
and you can gussy it up all you want.

Well, I don't have access to a woodshop.... It would be hard to make
one that looks decent with just hand tools.

That would be my first choice, though. I've done it before - a few
hardwood dowels, and some nice clear wood for the uprights...

But with the prices that I've seen for decent ladders, that may well
become an option.

IIRC the price of ladders includes 10 percent, or 30 percent or
somerthing for liability insurance. So be sure to consider the cost
of suing yourself.

--Yan

CptDondo December 27th 06 09:46 PM

Loft access ladders

mm wrote:

IIRC the price of ladders includes 10 percent, or 30 percent or
somerthing for liability insurance. So be sure to consider the cost
of suing yourself.

Heh! I was self-employed for about 10 years. Towards the end, my
liability insurance was about 15% of my gross income....

Q: What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
A: One's a bottom living scum sucker and the other one is a fish.

--Yan

Oren December 27th 06 10:41 PM

Loft access ladders

wrote:

Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the back,
but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not really
attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Thanks,

--Yan

What about a metal spiral stair case? Personally I would prefer one
over a 10' ladder, at my age.

These are kit.

http://www.theironshop.com/metal_01.htm

Good Luck.

--
Oren

HeyBub December 28th 06 12:19 AM

Loft access ladders

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the
back, but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not
really attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Can't help you with the ladder, but it would be criminal to not include a
poll to slide down.

HeyBub December 28th 06 04:25 AM

Loft access ladders

CptDondo wrote:
Anyone know where in the US (PNW - Oregon) I can get a loft ladder?

I have two sleeping lofts, 7'6" high. I need to provide access via a
ladder of some sort.

I've thought about getting a wooden stepladder and cutting off the
back, but 10' wooden stepladders are hard to find, plus they're not
really attractive as furniture.

Ideally, I am looking for an old-fashioned wooden straight ladder or
something similar, about 10' in length.

Swimming pool supply.

just me again December 28th 06 12:23 PM

Loft access ladders

try this link
http://www.ladderstore.com/

Andy December 28th 06 12:56 PM

Loft access ladders

CptDondo wrote:
That was one thought.... The loft is a sort of balcony for lack of a
better word, or a big shelf with one side open to the room below. Or
maybe an overgrown cubbyhole. There's no way to put one of those in.

--Yan

Andy writes:
Sounds like a perfect application for a stripper pole..... You'd
have
to learn how to shinney up it, but by the time you got there you'd be
tired enough to go to sleep immediately.... And in case of a fire,
you could be down in a second.....
And the wife could use it for other things (grin)

Just an idea from Eureka, Texs

Andy