Edward W. Thompson

Default Loft Ladders

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a
ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see
B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100
kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those
rated for 150 kgs. I can't see why most of the '100 kgs ladders' are
twice the price of the B & Q ladder.
Rick Dipper

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:19:04 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson
wrote:

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a
ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see
B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100
kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those
rated for 150 kgs. I can't see why most of the '100 kgs ladders' are
twice the price of the B & Q ladder.

100kg is not very much, I am a little overweight, but not fat, if I
were to carray a box of books up the ladder, the combied weight would
be over 100kg

Rick

Mark S.

wrote:

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a
ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see
B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100
kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those
rated for 150 kgs. I can't see why most of the '100 kgs ladders' are
twice the price of the B & Q ladder.

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.
Mary Fisher

wrote:

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a
ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see
B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100
kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those
rated for 150 kgs. I can't see why most of the '100 kgs ladders' are
twice the price of the B & Q ladder.

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

We gave our wooden one to some posh folks - although I didn't realise they
were posh then, only know now :-)

We have a two section aluminium loft ladder which was installed many years
ago, I think we got it from Homebase. It's a bit no, a lot - bashed about
now because teenagers and children have raced up and down it and we've used
it to carry stuff up and down, some heavy (and I'm no lightweight). I can't
see a load limit on it and I'm sure there wasn't one specified - but it was
at least twenty years ago and regs will have changed.

Mary

Mark S.

N. Thornton

Mark S. wrote in message . ..

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.

you can make a 3 section wooden for under £20 in about an hour.

NT
Zipadee Doodar

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Mark S. wrote in message

. ..

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.

you can make a 3 section wooden for under £20 in about an hour.

NT

Hmmm. Plans and diagrams would be nice.....

ZD

The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations re loft ladders. I need a
ladder for access to a loft simply for storage of light stuff. I see
B & Q have a two section ladder fo about £30.00 and is rated for 100
kgs which seems comparable to others which are retailing at £60 plus.
Is there any reason why I shouldn't go for the B & Q ladder?

From what's on the net they all seem much the same excluding those

[...]

I got a three section metal one from Screwfix. Not bad for the money -
about £70 I think.
N. Thornton

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message . uk...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Mark S. wrote in message

. ..

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.

you can make a 3 section wooden for under £20 in about an hour.

NT

Hmmm. Plans and diagrams would be nice.....

ZD

Odd, I cant find my post to repost from earlier in this thread. Will
look later for you.

NT
N. Thornton

"Zipadee Doodar" wrote in message . uk...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
Mark S. wrote in message

. ..

Fitted and used two of the three section metal ones, bit fiddly
spacewise to fit and need thinking about where the ladder will end up
but do the job well.

The wooden ones are for the posh folks. ;-)

Mark S.

you can make a 3 section wooden for under £20 in about an hour.

NT

Hmmm. Plans and diagrams would be nice.....

ZD

ok, see my posts in the 'loft ladder' thread - not this one, which is loft ladders.

NT

A loft hatch, joist cutting challenge for you... pecanfan UK diy 3 August 19th 04 06:54 PM
loft ladders MattP UK diy 6 February 8th 04 02:56 PM
Who knows how loft ladders work? Ged UK diy 2 February 6th 04 12:48 PM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM