Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ants in my junction boxes!

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a way
in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a way
in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Put a good dose of Amdro in the boxes and / or seal them better?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason
ants think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find
a way in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Why? Are the ants using your power for lighting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a
way in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they cause
any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

It might be that putting a few moth balls in each box would deter them for a
long time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Schuler" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message
I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a
way in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they
cause any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

Everything in the box kinda turns to mush. They must excrete something.

It might be that putting a few moth balls in each box would deter them for
a long time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason
ants think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a
way in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they
cause any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

Everything in the box kinda turns to mush. They must excrete something.

Wow ... I am outta here, as they say, as this is beyond my knowledge.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Toller wrote:

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a way
in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

You might try terro ant gel and just routinely place a dab in the boxes
for the ants to feed on. First though try it in a box that has activity
to make sure they will feed on it. If they aren't attracted to the terro
you may need to try to find a bait they will feed on. Insect dust
should be safe to lightly dust in the junction boxes though very little
would be needed.

It is possible for them to short out electrical boxes/timers when they
get into them and not sure if placing moth balls would be ok...the fumes
might cause chemical reaction to any wire insulation and then a short
and I believe the fumes are considered to be flammable.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Toller"
wrote:

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason
ants think they make great nests. They are pretty tightly sealed for
weatherproofing, but the ants find a way in somehow. Any suggestions
for preventing this?

Thoroughly seal/caulk where the line enters the enclosure. They are using the
INSIDE of the conduit as their path into the box.

Especially when the soil is saturated, ants move into above-ground spaces.
They diligently bring dirt with them to create a nest in the new space. This
can cause trouble, deteriorate the poly insulation on the conductors and
corrode connections.

I have seen the ENTIRE space inside a telephone pedestal FILLED (completely)
with dirt - an entire ant colony had moved in - big time.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article , "Toller"
wrote:

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason
ants think they make great nests. They are pretty tightly sealed for
weatherproofing, but the ants find a way in somehow. Any suggestions
for preventing this?

Thoroughly seal/caulk where the line enters the enclosure. They are using the
INSIDE of the conduit as their path into the box.

Especially when the soil is saturated, ants move into above-ground spaces.
They diligently bring dirt with them to create a nest in the new space. This
can cause trouble, deteriorate the poly insulation on the conductors and
corrode connections.

I have seen the ENTIRE space inside a telephone pedestal FILLED (completely)
with dirt - an entire ant colony had moved in - big time.

These sure sound like fire ants! Been a big problem in
Texas for about ten years. They will work their way into
any electrical closure they can get into from ground level.
I've opened closures that were a foot off the ground and
were completely packed. The ants are aggressive and will
bite everything when disturbed and cause puss nodules at
every skin bite.

Nasty. I now carry ant killer, pop the cover, soak it if
filled with ants. Come back a few hours later and dig the
box out. The farm store has some good chems just for them.
Don't let them get on you, just a few bites will really
burn for days.

Last I heard they've made it north to about Kansas, not
something to look forward to.

-larry \ dallas

Posted to alt.home.repair

log onto www.gardensalive.com and buy liquid ant bait. That was
the only stuff that got rid of my carpenter ants. The local pest
control place offered my several sprayings at $175 per visit, but
the ant bait did the job for reasonable price.

They love to send catalogs with coupons. So, if you buy a few the
first time, then weeks later they are sending you "we want you
back, 50% off any order" coupons.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Toller" wrote in message
I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some

reason ants
think they make great nests.
They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the

ants find a way
in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
log onto www.gardensalive.com and buy liquid ant bait. That was
the only stuff that got rid of my carpenter ants. The local pest
control place offered my several sprayings at $175 per visit, but
the ant bait did the job for reasonable price.

They love to send catalogs with coupons. So, if you buy a few the
first time, then weeks later they are sending you "we want you
back, 50% off any order" coupons.

I will give it a try; we also have a nasty ant problem in the cottage, but
at least there they don't destroy anything.

Years ago I had ants in an apartment. I got rid of them by putting broken
M&Ms on the floor, waiting 20 minutes, and vacuuming them up. Sounds odd,
but worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Toller wrote:

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they
cause any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

Everything in the box kinda turns to mush. They must excrete something.

Damn! That's worse than ants on your piano.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jon wrote in news:Inzth.50663$oA1.30601
@newsfe19.lga:

Toller wrote:

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they
cause any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

Everything in the box kinda turns to mush. They must excrete something.

Damn! That's worse than ants on your piano.

It's all nature. Tulips on your organ is nice :-)

Dirty ol' Al...