Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default ants in my junction boxes!

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article , "Toller"
wrote:

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason
ants think they make great nests. They are pretty tightly sealed for
weatherproofing, but the ants find a way in somehow. Any suggestions
for preventing this?

Thoroughly seal/caulk where the line enters the enclosure. They are using the
INSIDE of the conduit as their path into the box.

Especially when the soil is saturated, ants move into above-ground spaces.
They diligently bring dirt with them to create a nest in the new space. This
can cause trouble, deteriorate the poly insulation on the conductors and
corrode connections.

I have seen the ENTIRE space inside a telephone pedestal FILLED (completely)
with dirt - an entire ant colony had moved in - big time.

These sure sound like fire ants! Been a big problem in
Texas for about ten years. They will work their way into
any electrical closure they can get into from ground level.
I've opened closures that were a foot off the ground and
were completely packed. The ants are aggressive and will
bite everything when disturbed and cause puss nodules at
every skin bite.

Nasty. I now carry ant killer, pop the cover, soak it if
filled with ants. Come back a few hours later and dig the
box out. The farm store has some good chems just for them.
Don't let them get on you, just a few bites will really
burn for days.

Last I heard they've made it north to about Kansas, not
something to look forward to.

-larry \ dallas