Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pipe repair in cramped space

I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating
system. It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have exposed
about 4" of length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But there is no
room to sand it all the way around. There is only about 1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby wrote:

I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating
system. It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have exposed
about 4" of length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But there is no
room to sand it all the way around. There is only about 1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

Not nearly enough info, but you could make a loop of
"sandpaper" out of maybe a 2" wide strip.
Form the loop so that it looks like a "U" and slip
one end under the pipe. Work the sandpaper up and down.

If not that, then you'll have to make a better picture
of what you're doing.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Stubby wrote:

I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating
system. It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have
exposed about 4" of length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But
there is no room to sand it all the way around. There is only about
1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

Not nearly enough info, but you could make a loop of
"sandpaper" out of maybe a 2" wide strip.
Form the loop so that it looks like a "U" and slip
one end under the pipe. Work the sandpaper up and down.

If not that, then you'll have to make a better picture
of what you're doing.

Jim

Instead of a 2" strip, try a 1" strip and loop it around 360 degrees and
Posted to alt.home.repair

Instead of a 2" strip, try a 1" strip and loop it around 360 degrees and

I think 1" is the standard width for plumber's emory cloth. I think
what you are saying is that I should expect to spend a lot of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating system.
It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have exposed about 4" of
length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But there is no room to sand it
all the way around. There is only about 1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

Hear a possibility would not hurt to try might save you a lot of work
Go buy a piece of 3/4" copper tube the outside diameter is 3/4" should fit
inside the 3/4 pipe. Basically your making an inside coupling. I don't think
that will effect your return flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
Stubby wrote in news:4f-
:

Speedy Jim wrote:
Stubby wrote:

I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating
system. It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have
exposed about 4" of length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But
there is no room to sand it all the way around. There is only about
1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

Not nearly enough info, but you could make a loop of
"sandpaper" out of maybe a 2" wide strip.
Form the loop so that it looks like a "U" and slip
one end under the pipe. Work the sandpaper up and down.

If not that, then you'll have to make a better picture
of what you're doing.

Jim

I'm a fanatic about proper preparation before
soldering!

Probably why yours don't leak at the onset or a week/month(s) later.

Sounds like a quick digital pic of your situation will get you some
useful input. Pic=1k words. Upload it here
http://tinypic.com and post
the link it gives you.

Good suggestion, Al. I'll try to do that later on today. My leak
wasn't caused by a poor solder joint -- I actually failed to solder a
coupler in a long run. It was just stuck together and drips about one
or two drops a day. I'm toying with the idea a trying to solder it in
place after draining the run, but I doubt there is any flux still in the
joint. It's probably best to cut out a section and install a pair of
repair couplers, all properly prepared.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stubby,

Loop your emery cloth around the pipe. You should be able to easily
polish about 1/2 (the bottom and some of the sides) the cylinder with the
loop held straight up and down. Now move the loop out of the vertical and
you should be able to polish more of one side. Repeat by moving the loop
appropriately until the sides are on pretty good shape. A finger or a
Popsicle stick can supply the pressure to shine up the top.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message
I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating system.
It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have exposed about 4" of
length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But there is no room to sand it
all the way around. There is only about 1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

After reading more of your post a picture would help. But you might also try
heating the pipe ( after drained) then applying flux while hot then
re-solider the joint, I've fixed a lot of leaks that way.

PVC pipe repair?? Steven L Umbach Home Repair 1 September 23rd 06 02:21 PM
lead pipe repair cjiruk UK diy 3 October 3rd 05 12:50 AM
How to repair my space-ship with Earth metals ? Paul Eisner Metalworking 14 March 7th 05 02:19 PM
Trying to repair pipe buried. Noel Home Repair 1 January 14th 05 09:38 PM
Don't complain about your cramped work area! @(hugehill)cable.net Metalworking 1 June 8th 04 11:51 PM