Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Lachance Tom Lachance is offline

Default Pipe repair in cramped space

Stubby wrote:
Thanks. The loop will do the far side just fine, but I'm worried about
the top and close sides. I'm a fanatic about proper preparation before
soldering!

Speedy Jim wrote:
Stubby wrote:

I have a 3/4" Cu pipe carrying return water in my baseboard heating
system. It is install in a channel in the slab floor. I have
exposed about 4" of length and am pondering sawing the pipe. But
there is no room to sand it all the way around. There is only about
1/2" of space.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pipe prepared for soldering? TIA

Not nearly enough info, but you could make a loop of
"sandpaper" out of maybe a 2" wide strip.
Form the loop so that it looks like a "U" and slip
one end under the pipe. Work the sandpaper up and down.

If not that, then you'll have to make a better picture
of what you're doing.

Jim

Instead of a 2" strip, try a 1" strip and loop it around 360 degrees and