Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Figuring out what partial work is worth.

First contractor -- paid ~$1400 for wood to frame basement. As soon as
wood arrived, he passed this job onto another contractor.

We are 6 months into it and the second contractor has done most all of
the framing with some minor areas needing boxed & the inspectors minor
changes.

He's also ran electrical, though I did have to pay another electrician
$1000 to finish up pre-framing electric work. I paid to have the
cable/phone/network ran myself.

So this guy's done the framing for 1000 square feet, he has done
electric work, and he has purchased the drywall, tape, and mud. I
have since paid for a plumber..

Anyway, this second guy walked off the job with $6000 paid to him. For
doing framing, some of the electrical, and purchasing the drywall
materials. He passed the job onto another person.

I need to figure out how much what he did was worth, and I am not sure
how to do that. The drywall, while impressive looking down there, is
not that expensive afaik. We're talking maybe $500 for that material,
right? How can I try and calculate what the labor for the framing is
worth? It took him 6 months, but he would be gone for 3 weeks at a
time doing nothing to my basement. And then what the amount of
electrical work he did was worth? There is not an accounting of the
hours he worked so I can't simply do hours X $50 for example.

This is a lower wage area, in a small US city.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Havnt you ever heard of paid upon completion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Havnt you ever heard of paid upon completion.

Yes. However this job is/was being paid partial payments as work
progresses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Dec 2006 20:31:43 -0800, wrote:

[...]

If you have a contract, get someone else to finish, and
pay the guy what walked whatever the difference is.
If he wants more than that, make HIM justify it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
[...]

What does the guy say he wants? You've already paid $8500 to frame,
drywall and run electric to a 1000 sq ft basement area. That sounds
like plenty to me. The time to have established costs was upfront with
a written contract. Do you have anything in writing? Or what was the
verbal agreement you had?

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have a contract, get someone else to finish, and
pay the guy what walked whatever the difference is.
If he wants more than that, make HIM justify it.

Yes, I do have a contract. That sounds like a good idea to me.
Thanks.

What does the guy say he wants? You've already paid $8500 to frame,
drywall and run electric to a 1000 sq ft basement area. That sounds
like plenty to me. The time to have established costs was upfront with
a written contract. Do you have anything in writing? Or what was the
verbal agreement you had?

We have a written contract. $13,000 to finish everything up with the
exception of the cost of the ceramic flooring materials. It did
include labor, though.

My guess is you are not entirely without fault. You probably made a
few design changes along the way, right? Those usually are billed at
top dollar.

The changes were no including three closets in three rooms which we
originally
planned on having. This was because the inspector told us prior to
work beginning
and after the contract that we could not have closets.

So that would be billed at top dollar, eh? Since that is work that was
planned
into the contract and not actually done, does that mean I get to deduct
top dollar
from the contract? Is that what you are saying?

Nothing has been added to the project. There was an elaborate draft of
the work to
be done made at the beginning. Details including how many electrical
outlets, their
location, number of light switches & their location, etc. We put this
together with the help of the contractor to prepare the bid.

If I am at fault for anything it is letting months pass with no work
getting done.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On 14 Dec 2006 15:41:21 -0800, wrote:

[...]

Well, then. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. So step
up to the plate and sue the *******s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I am at fault for anything it is letting months pass with no work
getting done.

Well, then. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. So step
up to the plate and sue the *******s.

That seems a little extreme to me. I took Goedjn's advice, and the
contractor thought it was fair. So we are square now. Thank you.