Jeff Bennett

Default I sold almost $700.00 worth of bowls at work today. :)

A woman at work asked me to bring in some stuff for her to look at so
I did. A crowd gathered in my office when I unpacked it and before it
was over I had sold 8 bowls and 2 boxes. I wish I could do that every
day.

JB
Leo Lichtman

"mac davis" wrote: (clip) IMHO, if you did that every day, your reason for
turning bowls changes, as does the style and fun of your turning...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a very profound statement. Interestingly, I think the enjoyment for
some turners goes up when they are selling, and for others it goes down when
they feel pressured to turn and sell.

George

Selling at work is a thinker, too. I couldn't bring myself to ask money,
except when my co-workers were buying to give as gifts. Used to bring in a
bowl filled with wrapped candy or a plate loaded with cookies for the lounge
once every couple of weeks with the understanding that the other teachers
could steal the container. Gave out ornaments and such at Christmas. I
figured that was pretty good until one first grade teacher stopped to buy a
couple of ornaments from me at a fair this year and said "I want some
ornaments for my own. All I ever got of yours were bowls ...."

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"mac davis" wrote: (clip) IMHO, if you did that every day, your reason

for
turning bowls changes, as does the style and fun of your turning...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a very profound statement. Interestingly, I think the enjoyment

for
some turners goes up when they are selling, and for others it goes down

when
they feel pressured to turn and sell.

dave in Fairfax

mac davis wrote:
IMHO, if you did that every day, your reason for turning bowls
changes, as does the style and fun of your turning...

I couldn't agree more. Evry few years I agree to do some for $$,
afterwards I swear I'll never do it again. Turning for fun is
just that, turning because you have to or have agreed to, sucks.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
mac davis

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:28:39 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: (clip) IMHO, if you did that every day, your reason for
turning bowls changes, as does the style and fun of your turning...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a very profound statement. Interestingly, I think the enjoyment for
some turners goes up when they are selling, and for others it goes down when
they feel pressured to turn and sell.

it was a general statement, of course, only based on my experience..
most of the folks that I talk to think of their woodworking/turning as
more of an art than a job.. a chance to be creative with no time
constraints or deadlines... no pressure to produce...

I used to make small model siege engines for a hobby and a few folks
bought them... I ended up selling on ebay and the relaxing hobby
became a small business with the accompanying hassles..

It's a great ego booster to have someone actually BUY something that
you created... but for me, I create because I want to, not in hope
that what I make will appeal to a buyer.. YMMV

Mac