mac davis

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:28:39 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: (clip) IMHO, if you did that every day, your reason for
turning bowls changes, as does the style and fun of your turning...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a very profound statement. Interestingly, I think the enjoyment for
some turners goes up when they are selling, and for others it goes down when
they feel pressured to turn and sell.

it was a general statement, of course, only based on my experience..
most of the folks that I talk to think of their woodworking/turning as
more of an art than a job.. a chance to be creative with no time
constraints or deadlines... no pressure to produce...

I used to make small model siege engines for a hobby and a few folks
bought them... I ended up selling on ebay and the relaxing hobby
became a small business with the accompanying hassles..

It's a great ego booster to have someone actually BUY something that
you created... but for me, I create because I want to, not in hope
that what I make will appeal to a buyer.. YMMV

Mac