Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] edavid3001@gmail.com is offline

Default Figuring out what partial work is worth.

First contractor -- paid ~$1400 for wood to frame basement. As soon as
wood arrived, he passed this job onto another contractor.

We are 6 months into it and the second contractor has done most all of
the framing with some minor areas needing boxed & the inspectors minor
changes.

He's also ran electrical, though I did have to pay another electrician
$1000 to finish up pre-framing electric work. I paid to have the
cable/phone/network ran myself.

So this guy's done the framing for 1000 square feet, he has done
electric work, and he has purchased the drywall, tape, and mud. I
have since paid for a plumber..

Anyway, this second guy walked off the job with $6000 paid to him. For
doing framing, some of the electrical, and purchasing the drywall
materials. He passed the job onto another person.

I need to figure out how much what he did was worth, and I am not sure
how to do that. The drywall, while impressive looking down there, is
not that expensive afaik. We're talking maybe $500 for that material,
right? How can I try and calculate what the labor for the framing is
worth? It took him 6 months, but he would be gone for 3 weeks at a
time doing nothing to my basement. And then what the amount of
electrical work he did was worth? There is not an accounting of the
hours he worked so I can't simply do hours X $50 for example.

This is a lower wage area, in a small US city.

Thanks!