Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Default Part P self cert "course" for electrical work - worth it ?

As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for - most
are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and getting
the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing costs to keep
it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add the cost of the
electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn down the job.... ?

Can anyone tell me please ?

Thanks,

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP

Nick wrote:
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for - most
are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and getting
the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing costs to keep
it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add the cost of the
electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn down the job.... ?

Just do the job yourself. Send BC the fee and the building notice, let
them inspect if they want. Issue a certificate yourself if you think
you can stand by your own work. You'll need a copy of the IEE on-site
guide, and be able to understand it. You'll also need some test
equipment for the insulation and continuity tests, but that's quite
cheap on ebay.

IANAE (I am not an electrician)

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Nick" wrote in message
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for -
most are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and
getting the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing
costs to keep it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add
the cost of the electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn
down the job.... ?

Can anyone tell me please ?

Thanks,

Nick

The problem is not so much the course but becoming a member of an accredited
organisation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Dawson

"Fred" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for -
most are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and
getting the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing
costs to keep it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add
the cost of the electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn
down the job.... ?

Can anyone tell me please ?

Thanks,

Nick

The problem is not so much the course but becoming a member of an
accredited organisation.

No problem, if you are competent, have the appropriate qualifications and
experience, insurace backed warranty in place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Just do the job yourself. Send BC the fee and the building notice, let
them inspect if they want. Issue a certificate yourself if you think
you can stand by your own work. You'll need a copy of the IEE on-site
guide, and be able to understand it. You'll also need some test
equipment for the insulation and continuity tests, but that's quite
cheap on ebay.

I am quite sure I can do it, safely, I have numerous items of test equipment
including
a Megger, PAT tester, various items for electronic design and test and have
been doing
both electrical and electronic work for some 30 + years, but what I fear
most is
contravening the regs which I am not encountering every day, not being "an
electrician".

It is for my own benefit - tidying up the house / outhouse / outside
electrics that have been
added to over the years, prior to one day selling, and not wanting to have
to do it all in the
last few weeks before survey / exchange / completion.

If it is an option to just do it and "tell" the council guys without risking
imprisonment, that seems the
preferred way forward for me....

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chris French wrote:
In message , Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
writes
Nick wrote:
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for - most
are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and getting
the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing costs to keep
it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add the cost of the
electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn down the job.... ?

Just do the job yourself. Send BC the fee and the building notice, let
them inspect if they want. Issue a certificate yourself if you think
you can stand by your own work. You'll need a copy of the IEE on-site
guide, and be able to understand it. You'll also need some test
equipment for the insulation and continuity tests, but that's quite
cheap on ebay.

not sure that is a wise course of action, for what I read to be paid
work for someone else - not DIY
--
Chris French

Yebbut this is a DIY group - you just do it yourself (with as much
advice as you need) and see what happens re certificates and BCOs. If
it's bad you'll just have to do it again, but most diyers are generally
over cautious and do more than is essential.

cheers

Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Harrison

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:28:25 GMT, "Nick" wrote:

[...]

In which case, surely you have the intelligence and common sense to realise that if you just go
ahead and do it competently, and don't bother messing with the council at all, the probability of
any negative repercussions are sufficiently close to zero to be negligible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

"Mike Harrison" wrote in message
[...]

well, that's what has already been happening, but I though I would at least
make an effort to
display a token offering to being "legal" and see what sort of "taxes" are
involved and hoops are expected
to be jumped through....

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Stanton

contravening the regs which I am not encountering every day, not being "an
electrician".

Most don't, just get a copy of OSG and follow it.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred

"Stephen Dawson" wrote in message

"Fred" wrote in message

"Nick" wrote in message
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for -
most are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and
getting the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing
costs to keep it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add
the cost of the electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn
down the job.... ?

Can anyone tell me please ?

Thanks,

Nick

The problem is not so much the course but becoming a member of an
accredited organisation.

No problem, if you are competent, have the appropriate qualifications and
experience, insurace backed warranty in place.

Just for being able to do the wiring in your own home. How much would this
privilege cost me? And then each year?