Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP

Default Part P self cert "course" for electrical work - worth it ?

Nick wrote:
As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I
used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for - most
are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and getting
the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing costs to keep
it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add the cost of the
electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn down the job.... ?

Just do the job yourself. Send BC the fee and the building notice, let
them inspect if they want. Issue a certificate yourself if you think
you can stand by your own work. You'll need a copy of the IEE on-site
guide, and be able to understand it. You'll also need some test
equipment for the insulation and continuity tests, but that's quite
cheap on ebay.

IANAE (I am not an electrician)

R.