Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] edavid3001@gmail.com is offline

Default Figuring out what partial work is worth.

If you have a contract, get someone else to finish, and
pay the guy what walked whatever the difference is.
If he wants more than that, make HIM justify it.

Yes, I do have a contract. That sounds like a good idea to me.
Thanks.

What does the guy say he wants? You've already paid $8500 to frame,
drywall and run electric to a 1000 sq ft basement area. That sounds
like plenty to me. The time to have established costs was upfront with
a written contract. Do you have anything in writing? Or what was the
verbal agreement you had?

We have a written contract. $13,000 to finish everything up with the
exception of the cost of the ceramic flooring materials. It did
include labor, though.

My guess is you are not entirely without fault. You probably made a
few design changes along the way, right? Those usually are billed at
top dollar.

The changes were no including three closets in three rooms which we
originally
planned on having. This was because the inspector told us prior to
work beginning
and after the contract that we could not have closets.

So that would be billed at top dollar, eh? Since that is work that was
planned
into the contract and not actually done, does that mean I get to deduct
top dollar
from the contract? Is that what you are saying?

Nothing has been added to the project. There was an elaborate draft of
the work to
be done made at the beginning. Details including how many electrical
outlets, their
location, number of light switches & their location, etc. We put this
together with the help of the contractor to prepare the bid.

If I am at fault for anything it is letting months pass with no work
getting done.