Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tip To Quiet A Garage Door Opener

If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through
the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of mounting
it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the vibration and
lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

at replacement time try out the rubber drive belt garage door opener.
[if applicable to your climate.] amazingly much quieter than my broken
10 year old failed chain drive model.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through
the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of mounting
it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the vibration and
lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill,

Please explain "if applicable to your climate". If your user name is
related to your location/football team, our climates are very similiar.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through
the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of mounting
it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the vibration and
lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard through
the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of
mounting it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the
vibration and lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

I bought a mud flap for a truck and cut it up. Worked great.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

I'm thinking an exhaust hanger would be darn near perfect for this
application?

nate

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Skyhawk wrote:
also rubber or hockey puck at end of the pole.

I used a couple of layers of that mud flap. :-)

Joseph Meehan wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard
through the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of
mounting it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the
vibration and lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

I bought a mud flap for a truck and cut it up. Worked great.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joseph Meehan wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
If you have a room above a garage and the opener can be heard
through the floor, here's a tip that will make it a lot quieter:

Hang the opener on short (but strong) rubber straps instead of
mounting it directly the ceiling. The rubber will absorb the
vibration and lessen the noise transmitted through the joists.

I used a 3 ply material similiar to a tire (specifically a brake pad
from a Soap Box Derby car!) and the reduction in noise was amazing.

Enjoy!

I bought a mud flap for a truck and cut it up. Worked great.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Ceiling in garage too low for installling garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 6 November 26th 06 03:46 PM
overhead door garage door opener [email protected] Home Ownership 2 September 17th 06 07:30 PM
garage door opener Dave Home Repair 2 December 2nd 05 01:15 AM
Garage Door opener rbiondi Home Repair 4 November 30th 05 09:33 PM
Garage door opener Bill Home Repair 6 July 19th 05 06:42 PM