Posted to alt.home.repair
rbiondi

Default Garage Door opener

My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected

everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this

makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

I would look at the cord first. Otherwise the opener has a short. Also
plug something else into the outlet. Maybe the outlet is bad.

"rbiondi" wrote in message
oups.com...
My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected

everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this

makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

rbiondi wrote:
My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I
disconnected

everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If
this

makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips

Could that "breaker" be a GFI?

Otherwise, does it trip related to temperature changes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Nov 2005 11:20:01 -0800, "rbiondi" wrote:

My opener appears to be operating properly BUT it is tripping a 15a
circuit breaker in my main panel. It does this when it is NOT in
operation. While trying to get this breaker to stay set I disconnected

everything on the circuit until it quit tripping. Unplugging the
garage door opener is this only thing that worked. With evrything
(including the opener) plugged in the breaker trips about every 15-20
minutes. Until it trips, everything including the opener appears to
work properly. Again, when it trips the opener is not in use. If this

makes sense to anyone I sure would appreciate some tips

Get an extension cord and run the opener to an outle, on another
circuit. See what happens.

Sometimes circuit breakers start to trip when they shouldn't.
Sometimes appliances draw more than they should. Alhtough a mere
radio receiver would have to draw an awful lot more than it should to
trip a good circuit breaker. I would think it would take less than an
amp while in stand-by. The rating on the opener plate is the max
amount of current used, when it is actually opening the door.

P&M

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.