Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to ground generator

Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage) between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The generator should have a grounding point specified. This should be
attached to an 8 foot grounding rod. The ground connection on the
output plug should be connected to the ground at the electrical panel in
the house.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage)
between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

What are you using it for, to power your house (through a transfer switch of
course) or independent devices? Is it bonded or not? Can't really give an
answer without knowing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply.

The generator will be for powering the house. The house panel will be
back-fed through a 240V breaker with a mechanical interlock preventing the
backfeed breaker and the main breaker from being turned on at the same
time.

I am not sure what you mean by "bonded".

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:46:27 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage)
between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

What are you using it for, to power your house (through a transfer switch of
course) or independent devices? Is it bonded or not? Can't really give an
answer without knowing that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

The generator will be for powering the house. The house panel will be
back-fed through a 240V breaker with a mechanical interlock preventing the
backfeed breaker and the main breaker from being turned on at the same
time.

I am not sure what you mean by "bonded".

On some generators the neutral is connected to the ground (bonded). On most
it is not. (non-bonded). It should say on both the generator and manual.

If you have a unbonded generator you are all set. Your generator is
grounded through the breaker box, and must not be grounded independently;
the ground loop you referred to.

If you have a bonded generator you have a problem. The generator must be
grounded, and the neutral connection on your main feed must be switched
along with the hots; again to prevent loops.

I don't have it saved any more, but there is a wonderful website from a
Canadian distributor that explains all of this in extreme detail with
diagrams; but I gave you the heart of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

If your interlock switch disconnects the neutral from the mains input, you
will need to have or make your generator ground bonded to the neutral line.
If your interlock only switches the two hot lines and keeps the neutral
connection intact you want your generator without the ground bonded to the
neutral line. Remember the house neutral should be bonded to the ground once
in your service entrance switchbox.

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage) between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

Thanks.

Also:

The generator will be for powering the house. The house panel will be
back-fed through a 240V breaker with a mechanical interlock preventing the
backfeed breaker and the main breaker from being turned on at the same
time.

I am not sure what you mean by "bonded".

That's why generators used in this manner need to have a bond link, a
physical, removable bar that connects the generator frame to the
generator neutral. When purchasing a generator, keep in mind that some
generators do not have a removable bond link.

In your case, since you are not switching the generator neutral in the
"transfer switch", I would recommend connecting the generator as
follows:

1...Remove the bond link in the generator, which results in the
generator neutral being isolated from the generator frame.
2...Run a **4 wire** circuit from the generator to the main house
panel. (2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 equipment ground)
3...drive a ground rod (two would be better, at least 6 feet apart) at
the generator. Connect a #4 bare wire from the generator frame to the
ground rods AND to the equipment grounding wire that runs between the
generator and the house panel. There is usually a lug on the generator
frame just for this purpose.
4...at the main house panel tie the generator neutral and generator
equipment ground to the house main panel neutral busbar (which in turn
is connected to the house grounding electrode system (ground rod(s),
underground water line, etc.)
5...connect the hots to your mechanically interlocked breaker.

The above method will result in what is referred to as a non-separately
derived system. Hopefully, to avoid confusion, note that the ground
rods at the generator in the above are not technically required by NEC
since an equipment grounding conductor is ran to the generator.
HOWEVER, using the ground rods in this way at the generator, especially
since the main panel is some distance from the generator, ensures that
the generator frame stays at ground potential. Most engineers will
specify this method when connecting a non-separately derived system.

The other way to connect the generator is as a separately derived
system. In that case you would have to not only change your transfer
switch so that the neutral is switched, but you would also have to
install a subpanel with the equipment ground and neutrals isolated from
each other. In that case the ground rods at the generator would
absolutely be required by NEC and the generator bond link would have to
be installed to bond the "separately derived" neutral and equipment
ground.

Note that the generator neutral is bonded to the equipment ground at
one place _only_ in both cases.

One way to look at it is that with a separately derived system, a
separate system ground for the neutral MUST be established. In a
non-separately derived system, the generator neutral is grounded by the
normal electric supply grounding system and any ground rods at the
generator are merely supplemental to help keep the generator frame at
ground potential.

I hope this doesn't cause confusion, as the point of my post is to help
you understand the function of the ground rod in each case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"volts500" wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:
[...]

I don't think he is putting the generator a quarter mile from the breaker
box. But if he is, your method is great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

There is often alot of confusion over this. This is because there are a
few variables to the equation:

1) Do you have a switch neutral in your transfer switch?
2) Is the neutral in your generator bonded to ground?
3) Are the house and generator grounds connected? Or should they be
connected?

Depending on the circumstances there are various "Sets" or possible
soultions. Rather than me explain it, the best web sites I found was
this:

http://www.imsasafety.org/journal/marapr/ma5.htm
http://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_Hurr..._generator.pdf

Warmest regards, Mike.

wrote:
Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage) between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

Thanks.

ground wire extension (anti-static ground) toronado455 Electronics Repair 5 July 18th 06 08:44 AM
Chlorine Generator for 18' Above ground Pool Syl Home Repair 1 May 1st 06 05:35 PM
Ground Alexander Litvin Home Repair 11 April 19th 05 04:18 AM
Grounding Of Ground Wires In An Electrical Gang Box (how to handle the green ground wires) Robert11 Home Repair 7 March 8th 05 03:45 PM
Above ground or below ground Oil tank? mike Home Repair 21 August 16th 04 07:35 PM