Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default How to ground generator

wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

The generator will be for powering the house. The house panel will be
back-fed through a 240V breaker with a mechanical interlock preventing the
backfeed breaker and the main breaker from being turned on at the same
time.

I am not sure what you mean by "bonded".

On some generators the neutral is connected to the ground (bonded). On most
it is not. (non-bonded). It should say on both the generator and manual.

If you have a unbonded generator you are all set. Your generator is
grounded through the breaker box, and must not be grounded independently;
the ground loop you referred to.

If you have a bonded generator you have a problem. The generator must be
grounded, and the neutral connection on your main feed must be switched
along with the hots; again to prevent loops.

I don't have it saved any more, but there is a wonderful website from a
Canadian distributor that explains all of this in extreme detail with
diagrams; but I gave you the heart of it.