Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] NoSpam99989@aol.com is offline

Default How to ground generator

Thanks for the reply.

The generator will be for powering the house. The house panel will be
back-fed through a 240V breaker with a mechanical interlock preventing the
backfeed breaker and the main breaker from being turned on at the same
time.

I am not sure what you mean by "bonded".

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:46:27 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Here is a question for someone who knows the code.

I will be installing a generator aboout 60 feet from my home. Could
someone tell me what code requires for grounding it?

Do I put in a grounding rod/rods at the generator site or run its ground
wire to the panel in the house? (It seems that the former could cause a
ground loop and the latter would allow for some potential (voltage)
between
the generator and the adjacent earth.)

What are you using it for, to power your house (through a transfer switch of
course) or independent devices? Is it bonded or not? Can't really give an
answer without knowing that.