Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machine hot water

Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

It would make more sense to install a "Y" fitting on the cold water tap, and
run cold water to the "hot" connection

"imaref" wrote in message
s.com...
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on our newer Maytag machine needs hot and cold water, maybe yours does
too.
the manual says that because it is required to dissolve your detergents
has been defined as some specified temperature. our machine actually
adds some hot water if our buffalo ny tap water gets too cold, for the
COLD wash and COLD rinse cycle.
you may also be introducing other winter plumbing questions into this
answer depending on whether your washing machine is in an unheated area
subject to freezing. plenty of damage can occur if it freezes.
your roommate question may be prompted by a shortage of hot water for a
shower, which is easily cured by increasing your tank temperature if
there no children in the building.

imaref wrote:
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

you might disable the temp control knob somehow to minimize the use of
hot water

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, but if they select hot wash then no water at all will fill. Then,
they'll reach up and turn it back on and call you an idiot. Who's paying
the gas bill? Not to mention, nothing but all whites needs hot at all.

--
Steve Barker

"imaref" wrote in message
s.com...
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

imaref wrote:
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Of course different machines may be different, but I believe you will
find that most would have a problem if they set it on hot, no water would
flow and knowing roommates, some would not notice it.

The best suggestion I can see is the Y-connection to run cold to both.

However before you do this, you may want to consult your roommates.
After all you are sharing right? There are good reasons for using hot or
warm and I doubt if they are going to like a dictator. Life for you could
get very uncomfortable.

How about a compromise. Those who like hot can make a little larger
contribution to the community bill fund.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

disable temp control knob so it ONLY provides cold and warm.

a buddy of mine did that at his home my newer machine has no hot
setting.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

buffalobill wrote:
on our newer Maytag machine needs hot and cold water, maybe yours does
too.
the manual says that because it is required to dissolve your detergents
has been defined as some specified temperature. our machine actually
adds some hot water if our buffalo ny tap water gets too cold, for the
COLD wash and COLD rinse cycle.

My Kenmore has auto-temp settings for hot warm cold, that do exactly
that. And like you said, in the winter, even here in NJ, it will mix
in some hot to get the correct cold water temp. You can here it
intermittantly letting in some hot water as needed.

you may also be introducing other winter plumbing questions into this
answer depending on whether your washing machine is in an unheated area
subject to freezing. plenty of damage can occur if it freezes.
your roommate question may be prompted by a shortage of hot water for a
shower, which is easily cured by increasing your tank temperature if
there no children in the building.

Now how this is possible, I don't understand. The washing machine
presumably sits unused for long periods anyway, with or without turning
off the hot water.

imaref wrote:
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

imaref wrote:
Can I turn off the hot water valve to my washing machine so no matter
what setting is used on the washer, it always uses cold? My roommates
are using hot all the time and I know it costs alot of extra money.

The y_fitting idea seems best , otherwise as stated the unit will not
fill if a hot setting is used .

if your washer was in an unheated area you would have a freezing issues
with the hoses regardless of the hot/cold problem.

When I had room_mates way back , we put a jar by the washer and coffee
maker so whoever used stuff had to put in a dollar for costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.sofiane2007.com http://www.sofiane2007.com
http://www.websofiane.net http://www.websofiane.net
http://www.websofiane.net http://www.websofiane.net

http://sofiane.jeun.fr/ http://sofiane.jeun.fr/
http://sofiane.fr.ma/ http://sofiane.fr.ma/
http://www.sofiane.c.la/ http://www.sofiane.c.la/
http://www.sofiane2007.com http://www.sofiane2007.com
http://sofiane.fr.ma/ http://sofiane.fr.ma/
http://sofiane2007.oldiblog.com http://sofiane2007.oldiblog.com
http://sofiane2006.webobo.com http://sofiane2006.webobo.com
http://www.sofiane-online.org http://www.sofiane-online.org

**Sofiane Bahri From Morocco 0021275831620
سفيان الب*ري من المغرب ****

http://www.websofiane.net
http://www.sofiane2007.com/categorie-970159.html
http://sofiane.c.la/ http://sofiane.c.la/