Scott

Default Washing machine rinses on very hot

"Carolyn" wrote in message
Since I had a Combi fitted in the loft, I have noticed that
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx

5 minutes,
to give it time to stop blasting freezing then hot water, alternately and
b) my washing machine now does its final rinse in very hot water.. If I am

around when a
cycle finishes,
the clothes are steaming hot.. On a 40deg wash, I could end up with

shrinkage, etc...

Does the boiler fire up when the washing machine is doing its 'cold fill'?
Likewise, does the electric shower cause the boiler to come on?

Ian Stirling

Carolyn wrote:
Since I had a Combi fitted in the loft, I have noticed that
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx 5 minutes,

Are the taps to the washing machine properly connected, and any valves
turned on full?

Alan

In message , Carolyn
wrote
Since I had a Combi fitted in the loft, I have noticed that
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for
approx 5 minutes,
to give it time to stop blasting freezing then hot water, alternately and
b) my washing machine now does its final rinse in very hot water.. If I
am around when a
cycle finishes,
the clothes are steaming hot.. On a 40deg wash, I could end up with
shrinkage, etc...

Any idea why this happens, and is it possibly due to mis-plumbing?? All
the household taps
are fine
and run correctly, as does the CH,so I can`t fathom it out..

Have you got the hot and cold inlets to the washing machine connected
correctly? If they are swapped (red and blue hoses to the machine) then
the rinse will be from the hot water supply and not the cold.

If you can gain access to the back of your machine feel both hoses while
filling up on a 65 degree wash. The blue hose should be connected to the
mains inlet and should not be getting warm
and the red hose should not remain cold.
--
Alan

Peter

swop the fill hoses round they are indeed reversed

Peter

Peter

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Carolyn
wrote
[...]

That can still be correct but if the hoses are crossed on the back of the
machine it will still be wrong, best to put machine on rinse and check it
fills cold only.

Peter

James Salisbury

"Carolyn" wrote in message
Since I had a Combi fitted in the loft, I have noticed that
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx
5 minutes,
to give it time to stop blasting freezing then hot water, alternately and
b) my washing machine now does its final rinse in very hot water.. If I am
around when a
cycle finishes,
the clothes are steaming hot.. On a 40deg wash, I could end up with
shrinkage, etc...

Any idea why this happens, and is it possibly due to mis-plumbing?? All
the household taps
are fine
and run correctly, as does the CH,so I can`t fathom it out..

thanks

--
Carolyn

1. Does the combi fire and run when the electric shower is turned on?
2. Were the hoses for the washing machine installed before or after the
combi?

If 1. is yes or 2. is before the combi then call the plumber back, as he as
made a boo boo!!

ritchieaber

"Scott" wrote in message ...
"Carolyn" wrote in message
Since I had a Combi fitted in the loft, I have noticed that
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx

5 minutes,
to give it time to stop blasting freezing then hot water, alternately and
b) my washing machine now does its final rinse in very hot water.. If I am

around when a
cycle finishes,
the clothes are steaming hot.. On a 40deg wash, I could end up with

shrinkage, etc...

Does the boiler fire up when the washing machine is doing its 'cold fill'?
Likewise, does the electric shower cause the boiler to come on?

Some washing machines do a warm rinse last, candy washer driers to
name one. It may be a case of throttling the hot water feed or fitting
the restrictor washer in the hot inlet, to reduce the amount of hot
taken with the cold.
Alan

In message ,
ritchieaber wrote
"Scott" wrote in message
"Carolyn" wrote in message
[...]

Don't machines have valves on the inlets which are controlled
automatically to mix the feeds from the hot and cold?
--
Alan

Ian Stirling

Carolyn wrote:
Snip
Pretty much what I thought, except that I haven`t altered the way the pipes
feed to the washing machine & it was ok before the combi was fitted.. Perhaps
the plumber disconnected/reconnected for some reason..? I will certainly have a look
when I`m able to access the back of the machine(not an easy job!)
Thanks for all your replies

The piping to the washing machine (from the combi) may be shorter than
the piping from the hot water tank was.
This means that when it draws water to rinse, it gets hot water, rather
than most of it being stuff that's sat in the pipe for half an hour and
gone cold since the fill.
A diagnostic should be to do a boilwash.
If it takes a long time to raise temp, and starts out cold, when it
should be taking in hot water, then it's almost certain.
(barring a maxwells demon infection)
Peter

"ritchieaber" wrote in message
om...
"Scott" wrote in message

"Carolyn" wrote in message
[...]

rare to say the least

Peter

Christian McArdle

a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx
5 minutes,

As for the electric shower, if I had a combi boiler, then the electric
shower would already be in the bin. Replace it with a thermostatic pressure
balanced mixer shower fed by the mains cold and hot water.

Christian.

Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
a) my electric shower now runs fine,with no need to turn it on for approx

5 minutes,

As for the electric shower, if I had a combi boiler, then the electric
shower would already be in the bin. Replace it with a thermostatic pressure
balanced mixer shower fed by the mains cold and hot water.

"no need to turn it on for approx 5 minutes" means to me that the combi
isn't quite adequate in terms of temperature.

Christian McArdle

The plumber didn`t suggest using my Combi for the shower as well,
instead kept the electric one as a backup & its fine for just me,
anyway.

Remember that your combi boiler will provide a shower that is an order of
magnitude more satisfying that a crappy electrical shower. The only reason
to have an electric shower is that you have neither gas nor space for a hot
water cylinder.

Christian.

Ian Stirling

Christian McArdle wrote:
The plumber didn`t suggest using my Combi for the shower as well,
instead kept the electric one as a backup & its fine for just me,
anyway.

Remember that your combi boiler will provide a shower that is an order of
magnitude more satisfying that a crappy electrical shower. The only reason
to have an electric shower is that you have neither gas nor space for a hot
water cylinder.

Or that you want to boost the flow from the combi in cold weather.
Christian McArdle

Or that you want to boost the flow from the combi in cold weather.

Quite a dangerous way to do it, though. The electric shower doesn't mix cold
in, so could easily scald by heating water that the combi might be providing
at 55C at low flow rates. Far safer to use just a thermostatic pressure
balanced mixer. 28kW gives an excellent power shower, even in winter.

Christian.

HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Washing Machine Connections ChillDVDs UK diy 7 September 8th 04 10:54 PM
Zanussi sensorcycle 1050 washing machine problem Terry UK diy 7 September 1st 04 08:49 PM
short washing machine drain hose Kerry Hoskin UK diy 14 January 26th 04 05:50 PM
Problems with Siemens Washing Machine WM53661BY Mohammed Farooq UK diy 0 November 6th 03 12:21 PM