Posted to alt.home.repair

Default patching holes

My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Pacc wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

You're going to need like a thimble-full of something. I'd normally use
pre-mixed drywall compound (comes in a bucket). Spread it on with
something flat (a drywall "knife", a spatula, whatever), let it dry.
Run over it lightly with a clean, slightly damp sponge once or twice
(just a few swipes) to make it smooth. Let it dry again. Paint. But I
normally buy it by the bucket -- maybe it is available in smaller
amounts?

For just a few holes, you could probably just mix elmers glue with
flour or something... who knows?

-kev

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

In college we used toothpaste. You matched the color/brand to the
color of the walls. But I wouldn't recommend it for your house.
Otherwise, I guess you should get some spackle.

Tony Pacc wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Tony Pacc" wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?

You'll find a number of products available (in small quantities)
at Home Depot or any decent hardware store.

Bear in mind that some are very flexible (and hence will not
crack) but cannot be sanded which means you'll need to apply
and finish before the compound sets.

Others are prone to shinkage while they cure which can leave
a visible dimple after some number of hours or days.

Finally, do make sure that whatever compound you choose is
paintable. Some (esp. those with silicone) will not take
paint, ever!

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

a mini tv, a mini radio, and a coffee mug warmer?

Tony Pacc wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Pacc wrote:
My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

I use this stuff called Vinyl Spackling that I picked up at Ace
Hardware. Just smear a bit of it in the holes with your finger and wipe
any excess with the other finger. Easy as pie. It's paintable,
sandable, dries quick, and it is also flexible.

-Felder

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the holes are of any size, I often stuff them full of a wad of wet
paper towel first, then use the spackling. As other posters have
pointed out, you will likely need more than one coat, with sanding in
between. Any hardware store carries it in small containers. Unless you
are planning of doing a lot, I'd get the smallest container you can, as
the stuff will dry out. A couple of good spakling knives are handy to
have around. There are also some cheap plastic ones that are available,
that work Ok. A putty knife is also handy for loosening up stuck
windows after painting. You need more tools... grin

Posted to alt.home.repair

kevin wrote:

Tony Pacc wrote:

My wife wants me to relocate the towel bar,soap dish,tooth brush holder in
newly painted bathroom,what's the best stuff for filling in the holes?
Thanks

You're going to need like a thimble-full of something. I'd normally use
pre-mixed drywall compound (comes in a bucket). Spread it on with
something flat (a drywall "knife", a spatula, whatever), let it dry.
Run over it lightly with a clean, slightly damp sponge once or twice
(just a few swipes) to make it smooth. Let it dry again. Paint. But I
normally buy it by the bucket -- maybe it is available in smaller
amounts?

For just a few holes, you could probably just mix elmers glue with
flour or something... who knows?

-kev

I did something like that after I patched a small hole in a textured
ceiling. I mixed flour with ceiling paint and dabbed it on with a stiff
brush. Worked great!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spackling compound is best, but plaster would also work. I think
spackling contains some glue for better adhesion. With either, moisten
the hole before starting. I prefer using two thin patches to one thick,
as I think a thick patch is more likely to shrink or run. I trust you
have some primer and paint left. Suggest to your wife that this would,
next time, be better done before you do the painting.

If any of the holes is large, you should mount something behind the hole
to help hold the patch.

I must be getting old, but I've never bought either of these pre-mixed
on the theory that once you open the can, whatever you don't use is
wasted, as it will dry out.

On the other hand, I have a box of spackling that is well over thirty
years old. When I have a few holes or cracks to patch, I just mix a
little with water, then put the box back on the shelf.